Leaky Windshield

Greg2013SHO

Reaction score
In April my 2013 SHO caught a flying stone that put a long crack across the windshield. I was in Virginia and had Safelite put in a replacement. Been driving cross country in some hellacious rain but the job seemed to hold up. Now that I’m back in Louisiana I decided to go thru a car wash to clean off the road dirt and bugs. Got plenty of water from the top of the windshield. It flooded the rear view mirror plastic housing and sprayed the dashboard and console. I did as much windbreaker-covering and paper towel soaking up as possible. The mirror housing came loose and separated in the middle. A day later I wiped up what remaining water I could find. The assembly is dangling for the last drying. But everything seems to still work.

It’s been hot here. I’m thinking that the sealing at the top of the windshield came loose and was wiped away by the car wash brushes. Safelite offers a lifetime warranty on workmanship but they haven’t responded yet. The phone numbers aren’t going thru and the online notice I filed hasn’t been answered. My insurance company says keep working to get their attention. While I wait I thought to learn more.

Is this kind of installation defect common in the Summer? I see a gap all along the top edge so don’t know whether there’s supposed to be a filling seal. Any guidance?

J persons

Reaction score
In April my 2013 SHO caught a flying stone that put a long crack across the windshield. I was in Virginia and had Safelite put in a replacement. Been driving cross country in some hellacious rain but the job seemed to hold up. Now that I’m back in Louisiana I decided to go thru a car wash to clean off the road dirt and bugs. Got plenty of water from the top of the windshield. It flooded the rear view mirror plastic housing and sprayed the dashboard and console. I did as much windbreaker-covering and paper towel soaking up as possible. The mirror housing came loose and separated in the middle. A day later I wiped up what remaining water I could find. The assembly is dangling for the last drying. But everything seems to still work.

It’s been hot here. I’m thinking that the sealing at the top of the windshield came loose and was wiped away by the car wash brushes. Safelite offers a lifetime warranty on workmanship but they haven’t responded yet. The phone numbers aren’t going thru and the online notice I filed hasn’t been answered. My insurance company says keep working to get their attention. While I wait I thought to learn more.

Is this kind of installation defect common in the Summer? I see a gap all along the top edge so don’t know whether there’s supposed to be a filling seal. Any guidance?
Take it back to Safelite and get it fixed. I had my truck windshield replaced by Safelite last spring and they did a pretty good job. One thing to remember, most of their windshields are thinner than OEM and are made in China, but the company is American owned. If you want a US produced windshield, just tell them ahead of time but it will cost you a few $$$ more.

Greg2013SHO

Reaction score
Take it back to Safelite and get it fixed. I had my truck windshield replaced by Safelite last spring and they did a pretty good job. One thing to remember, most of their windshields are thinner than OEM and are made in China, but the company is American owned. If you want a US produced windshield, just tell them ahead of time but it will cost you a few $$$ more.
Thanks for the reply, J. With no response from the official Safelite access (phone numbers and online form) I called the cell of the VA technician who had done the job in April. From it I was given his local Safelite warranty office. The lady was highly helpful. [She said that the provided access wasn't of much use.] Despite all the caveats of the warranty document she quickly scheduled me for a mobile repair. Her only concern was that it might be the sunroof leaking and clogged drainage channels. When I described how well I protect the car from the elements she said it wasn’t likely but they’d test with a garden hose to be sure.

There’s no “top seal” as my older SHO has, just a thick bead of glue that should hold up in any natural temperature, inside or out. The tech will bring a spare windshield in case there’s some shape issue with the one they installed. Other than that, there were only the usual provisions for a mobile service.

What they put in seems substantial and hasn’t chipped after many miles of highway driving but I’ll ask the tech about the thickness. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Greg2013SHO

Reaction score
The Safelite guy verified the leak in the top center with my garden hose. Said it was probably thin glue from not overlapping it completely from either side. He used a long glue gun to give me a thick rope 2/3 the way across, to the passenger side. Then did that side, mixing the glue where it met. It was a pleasure to watch him position the glass and ease it onto the glue. Such a satisfying squeeze! He said no car wash for an hour but I didn’t even move the vehicle for that duration. I wanted this sucker to set as securely as possible! It was a comfort to witness the entire process. I don’t think I could have had a more professional service at the shop. And this was simpler.

I asked about the Chinese replacement. He said yes, that’s where these come from. But the thickness conforms to US specs. Safelite wouldn’t be allowed to cut corners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Insidejobrobsho13

Members online

No members online now.