Go to change the brakes... found out why I was getting some weird noises

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
Trying to remember what the differences are. Haven't looked into that in a long time. I know the pistons went from phenolic to metal but I am not sure if there were fitment differences. I think the pad shapes are different but I forget if the calipers and brackets are physically swappable to fit.

I bought upsized spindles and used the stock calipers for the year that came with the spindle before going to genIII and Baer/Mustang setups.

My guess is no because then the spindle swap would not be needed for upsized setup.

SeanDev

SHO Member
Reaction score
Well, my driver side spindle is boned. Had to get remanned calipers because the bleeder screws wouldn't budge, even with a lot of encouragement, and I went to put the new one on the driver side and the bottom slider pin just spins freely. Took the caliper off and yup, it's stripped.

So far, everything that can go wrong with this operation has. Awesome.
That's the SHO platform. It's money and time spent, you get moments of happiness, but can have anger issues and it makes you walk away without hurting her in frustration.

Devin

3.Slow
Reaction score
Is there a washer in addition to the hub nut that mates up to the wheel bearing? If so, I don't have one. All I have is this guy:

Last edited:

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
this is from the 1992 Helm's manual
you have the install page?
Looks like yes one is needed. The good news is the oem part number is listed-- here is a page with the specs for it

zoomlater

SHO Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is an exploded view, but it just shows the washer and nut on the end

Devin

3.Slow
Reaction score
Thanks, I ended up ordering a few from O'Reilly's. My other side is missing it as well, so I picked up another hub nut as well.

Not sure how I managed to lose them, but this could explain why my bearings seem to fail more often than they should.

Devin

3.Slow
Reaction score
Got the "new" knuckle/spindle/bearing installed (thanks Mike, the painted knuckle looks great). New calipers are on, bled and now I am charging the battery since it was too weak to turn over. Damn cold weather. Hopefully I'll get a chance to test it out tomorrow

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
Good news. Post back after trial run.

The press in ones are such a PITA. I'd rather do 2 swaps of the integrated ones with the wheel studs like GenIII and up vs 1 of the press in ones.

Devin

3.Slow
Reaction score
It's still making a significant amount of noise on the driver's side. I'll have them look at it when I take it in for alignment

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
hmmm. Drive drive wheel is the other side as I recall. You are sure it is suspension and not a pulley? Is it possible the strut bearing or mount is trash?

Devin

3.Slow
Reaction score
Guy at the shop: "oh, you're the one with the '90? That's almost a collectable if it wasn't, you know, a Ford Taurus".

Harsh!

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
Harsh but true. It might be a collectable in another 10-20yrs. Most are dead and gone. but yeah.. still taurus so probably not

Devin

3.Slow
Reaction score
It's still making noise especially at it warms up AND now I don't have running lights or cluster lights. Also the rheostat doesn't work.

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
Well that dimmer/switch for dash is a known failure part. You'll probably have to get a used replacement and I would not let it linger. I think..poor memory.. there has been an issue of one or 2 starting to smoke shorting out. It's not very common with failures but I think I remember something like that.