cordell

Reaction score
Hey guys. Awhile back I had posted about my Livernois tune, which I had updated with a stock-shifting tune which DID indeed help the shifting quite a bit. With that said, 1st gear is solid every time, but 2nd gear in WOT it shutters, just doesn’t feel good on the tranny (which only has 20k miles on it).

Question is - does anyone have feedback for GearHead tunes for a 2013 SHO? I like the power with livernois, but I want something that gets the shifts right every time. Are they good or did anyone have the same issues? I’ve also read that you want to run a pint heavy in tranny fluid? I had two different people at livernois tell me yes and no. Just want clean shifts.

Thanks, all feedback is much appreciated!

cordell

Reaction score
My GH tune shifts like butter.
Glad to hear. I’ll have to look into it. It’s just annoying that I already have the livernois tune, so risking to buy the GH tune which is probably like what $600 maybe more?

SM105K

Streetlight Grand Prix Champ/ IG @fafomotorsports
Reaction score
Glad to hear. I’ll have to look into it. It’s just annoying that I already have the livernois tune, so risking to buy the GH tune which is probably like what $600 maybe more?
There is no risk in it. The GH will make more power safely, and your transmission trouble will be no more. I am not tuned by GH, but I can pretty much guarantee that if you switch, you will post it was worth it later.

Ish416

Reaction score
I went from LMS to GH on my car (2014) because of how bad the shifting was. Night and day difference in shifts. Never has my GH tune done anything other than nail the shifts perfectly smooth every time. I even tried the updated LMS shifting tune and going from my GH to that updated LMS tune felt like I had broke something in the transmission. The car would either miss shifts as it had before or slam into a gear so hard that I thought I broke something. By that I mean the 2nd to 3rd gear shift was so violent that it would chirp the tires.

From my experience in regards to power, LMS and GH feel comparible.

I too had to get over the fact that LMS uses their own proprietary programmer and just about everyone else uses an SCT device. After several months of back and forth with LMS unable or unwilling to resolve shifting issues, I purchased an SCT and went with GH and while I wish I would have done that from the beginning, it was still worth the additional $500 - $600 for the device and tune to make my car run right.

SHOthyme

SHO Member
Reaction score

I have a used SCT x4 I would sell you much cheaper than a new one, still in working order and not married, I just upgraded to the Livewire because I like the look of the gauges better. :shrug:

Then you just need a $200 toon!

cordell

Reaction score
Does anyone know if I absolutely need to revert my car back to stock first, or if I can just upload the GH tune right over the Livernois one…

76FoMoCo

SHO Member
Reaction score
you can over load it over the LM(pos tune) but do a Kam re set at the same time.

cordell

Reaction score
you can over load it over the LM(pos tune) but do a Kam re set at the same time.
I’ve been searching online And I see a lot of posts about disconnecting the negative from the battery and turning headlights on for 20 mins etc or something. Then I saw another post stating you can do it with the sctx4 tuner (which seems easier). How would you go about doing this? And should it be done before loading the new GH tune, after, or it doesn’t matter? Thanks!!!

76FoMoCo

SHO Member
Reaction score
I guess I should have pointed out yes you can but that's for a later deal. You need to load the stock tune back so your sct device can capture it to be married to the device. If not it will capture the LMS tune. It will stay on the device in case you need to re load it. then load the new GH tune and go into sct device and you will find the Kam re set. this clears the memory of your driving habits and other stuff. The car will have to re learn so it will run and shift weird for the first week.

cordell

Reaction score
I guess I should have pointed out yes you can but that's for a later deal. You need to load the stock tune back so your sct device can capture it to be married to the device. If not it will capture the LMS tune. It will stay on the device in case you need to re load it. then load the new GH tune and go into sct device and you will find the Kam re set. this clears the memory of your driving habits and other stuff. The car will have to re learn so it will run and shift weird for the first week.
Appreciate your input man! I just called Ford and they said “$300 of labor to replace spark plugs”. Like bro. And the dude also recommended that I replace the gasket as well? Because it can “create problems if you put it back on” and “those gaskets are one time use usually”. Is this accurate or just the dealership tryna get more out of me? He said the manifold or whatever has a gasket that needs to come off to replace spark plugs. I thought spark plugs was a job I could probably do myself anyways just wanted to call and see how much it would be.

Majestic

SHO Member
Reaction score
Appreciate your input man! I just called Ford and they said “$300 of labor to replace spark plugs”. Like bro. And the dude also recommended that I replace the gasket as well? Because it can “create problems if you put it back on” and “those gaskets are one time use usually”. Is this accurate or just the dealership tryna get more out of me? He said the manifold or whatever has a gasket that needs to come off to replace spark plugs. I thought spark plugs was a job I could probably do myself anyways just wanted to call and see how much it would be.
That's the stealership doing what they do. You can do the plugs yourself with some extensions and patience. The first time I did them it took me about an hour and a half. The back three are the difficult ones. And there is no gasket that needs to be replaced.

cordell

Reaction score
Really sorry for diluting the comment thread but I just have so many questions and cars are super technical.
- The current plugs I have are Ford and I want to say they are gapped at 0.030 (got them off Amazon a year ago, at the time I didn’t even know gapping plugs was a thing). Instead of spending $300 to have the GH gapped plugs installed (0.027 or whatever it is), could I just run my GH tune with my current plugs? Or is running GH with 0.030 gapped plugs really gonna ruin everything lol? Also - maybe this is the reason my Livernois tune is such sh*t? I find it hard to believe a 0.04 variation would be much of a HUGE difference but maybe I’m wrong?

Majestic

SHO Member
Reaction score
Really sorry for diluting the comment thread but I just have so many questions and cars are super technical.
- The current plugs I have are Ford and I want to say they are gapped at 0.030 (got them off Amazon a year ago, at the time I didn’t even know gapping plugs was a thing). Instead of spending $300 to have the GH gapped plugs installed (0.027 or whatever it is), could I just run my GH tune with my current plugs? Or is running GH with 0.030 gapped plugs really gonna ruin everything lol? Also - maybe this is the reason my Livernois tune is such sh*t? I find it hard to believe a 0.04 variation would be much of a HUGE difference but maybe I’m wrong?
I'd install the plugs GH sent you.