Gen 1 used in swap

1nd0

Reaction score
Im sorry if this has been asked before but i cant seem to find much info on this. Is it possible to use a 89-91 sho as a donor car for a 1993 atx to mtx conversion ? Most of what i have seen is people sugesting using a gen 2 trans in the swap.

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
Yes you can use any of the gen I -II motors with mtx transmission. It's usually easier to take a 3.2 motor and put it into a manual car but it's all doable. It should be archived in here somewhere. I would use a 3.2 motor with a mtx if you can pull it off.

zoomlater

SHO Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here a thread swapping a 3.2 into an MTX car. Were you planning to keep the wiring that is in the ATX car, since you will run into issues that the car is looking for an ATX t r a n n y. If you bring the wiring over from your donor Gen 1 car, then some of the connectors will probably be different. Hamal's car (now the Red T u r d ) was an ATX car that became an MTX car. I remember him saying when he was going through the wiring to the t r a n n y, they were all blue wires so that Ford made his conversion that much more fun.

Last edited:

1nd0

Reaction score
Thanks ya i had seen a few posts on the swap my main question was mostly a concerned with a gen 1 donor car going into a gen 2 car. I'm not sure what i am going to do for the ecu yet. Tempted to keep the atx and just trick it or maybe ill get a standalone ecu and not use ether of them.

zoomlater

SHO Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks ya i had seen a few posts on the swap my main question was mostly a concerned with a gen 1 donor car going into a gen 2 car. I'm not sure what i am going to do for the ecu yet. Tempted to keep the atx and just trick it or maybe ill get a standalone ecu and not use ether of them.
So I started digging around in my Sho pile of printed documents and found someone who did a 1993 ATX to MTX conversion from a rusted out 1990 MTX car. He shows how he did it and what parts he salvaged and purchased and what he did to trick the 3.2 PCM to get it to work. I need a day or so to scan it in and post it. I don't remember what site I found this, but printed it out in case I ever wanted to do something like this since it was so well documented (color pictures too).

1nd0

Reaction score
So I started digging around in my Sho pile of printed documents and found someone who did a 1993 ATX to MTX conversion from a rusted out 1990 MTX car. He shows how he did it and what parts he salvaged and purchased and what he did to trick the 3.2 PCM to get it to work. I need a day or so to scan it in and post it. I don't remember what site I found this, but printed it out in case I ever wanted to do something like this since it was so well documented (color pictures too).
You are a hero. Thanks so much.

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
I think rubydist did an atx to mtx conversion. Everything is doable. the ecu is a little challenging as it's not an easy reflash to move things around. You need an eprom or other physically interfaced hardware piece to get the programming to work. If you have the skills and time it could be a cool project.

zoomlater

SHO Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found the file! But its a word document and the site doesn't like it. Let me see if I can save it another way.

Attachments

• ATXtoMTX.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 14

zoomlater

SHO Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the write up, he mentions he deleted the AC compressor. On MTX cars, the AC compressor/bracket is supposed to be part of a structural support, so you may want to retain the compressor (even if you don't hook it up).

thegreatbriguy

SHO Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The easiest way is to find some gen 2 mtx wiring from the year of your car and just swap all the wires

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike976