Gas Mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

javon7065

Reaction score
I wanted to check with you all if the mpg I am getting is normal. I’ve only had the car a couple months and I’ve noticed this pattern. Not expecting great mpg to begin with but I added 6 gallons of Sunoco 93 which topped of the tank which was at 3/4 full. After going 76 miles, some highway, some city but no congested stop and go traffic and I’m not a lead foot I was back down to 3/4. Is this normal? The K and N air filter is not filthy, and I cleaned it with water recently. I have the kit from K & N to clean it which I will do shortly. Just checked the tire pressure and it’s fine. I have the premium extended service plan, so I’m wondering if I should take it to the dealer. Thanks for any advice.

yaycandy

Aerospace Engineer
Reaction score
23mpg on e30 and 26mpg on 93. All highway and tuned.

Miles reset after 10k i believe. But thats my e30 with 254 hours of driving everywhere in life. 23.4mpgIMG 6735

SHOdded

SHO Member
Reaction score
MY? how many miles do you have on your car and do you reset the meters every fillup?

when were the plugs last serviced? same for ptu and rdu fluids, transmission fluid, and brakes.

you could run a can of bg 44k thru the fuel tank to see if the fuel pump float is being lazy.

also check the battery v and ccas to ensure it is providing sufficient reliable power.

do you use torque pro or forscan lite? another way to monitor fuel level.

kryptto

The Best Thing About Cars... ones in my mirror.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted to check with you all if the mpg I am getting is normal. I’ve only had the car a couple months and I’ve noticed this pattern. Not expecting great mpg to begin with but I added 6 gallons of Sunoco 93 which topped of the tank which was at 3/4 full. After going 76 miles, some highway, some city but no congested stop and go traffic and I’m not a lead foot I was back down to 3/4. Is this normal? The K and N air filter is not filthy, and I cleaned it with water recently. I have the kit from K & N to clean it which I will do shortly. Just checked the tire pressure and it’s fine. I have the premium extended service plan, so I’m wondering if I should take it to the dealer. Thanks for any advice.
11 MPG though my foot tells me I am 50 MPG

Last edited:

javon7065

Reaction score
MY? how many miles do you have on your car and do you reset the meters every fillup? - Bought this car 2 months ago. A little over 90K and no I do not reset the trip meters. I have never really needed them but will start using them now for this.

when were the plugs last serviced? same for ptu and rdu fluids, transmission fluid, and brakes. new plugs at 67700 (NGK Ruthenium), not sure about PTU, RDU, Trans and Oil changed last month. New Brakes and rotors, tires and alignment at 80k

you could run a can of bg 44k thru the fuel tank to see if the fuel pump float is being lazy. - never used this product. If it improves MPG the float was being lazy?

also check the battery v and ccas to ensure it is providing sufficient reliable power. - I have a lot of info about maintenance but nothing about the battery. Can forscan lite provide this?

do you use torque pro or forscan lite? another way to monitor fuel level. no but will look at getting the items to use forscan

76FoMoCo

SHO Member
Reaction score
93 tune with a mix of stop and go and freeway 40/60 and 24 mpg on 93 oct

javon7065

Reaction score
The 2011 I bought several weeks ago is averaging around 22.6 mpg with regular pump gas here in SC. I just started using Lucas in it the last time I filled up. I've been running it in my '92 F350 for a good while and pleased with it. https://www.lucasoil.com/Lucas-Fuel-Treatment/
Wow, that's incredible. I definitely have something going on that is causing the terrible MPG. I will look into the Lucas stuff

kryptto

The Best Thing About Cars... ones in my mirror.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might want to get those intake valves scoped. They could be clogged and causing the bad MPG.

javon7065

Reaction score
23mpg on e30 and 26mpg on 93. All highway and tuned.

Miles reset after 10k i believe. But thats my e30 with 254 hours of driving everywhere in life. 23.4mpgView attachment 90568
So I went into the trip counter today to reset it and I saw the following info. It’s kind of what I thought. I was getting 11 miles to the gallon. I didn’t even think to look at the trip setting IMG 0579because I didn’t know calculated MPG.

yaycandy

Aerospace Engineer
Reaction score
Thats really low mpg for that many hours. Unless its a ton of idle. Even when i blew my engine it still got 15mpg. From my experience these engines get better mpg when tuned. Even with a lead foot. I did notice a good bit more mpg when switching to AJP Turbo years ago compared to my Livernois tune. And the Livernois tune was alittle better than factory but at the same time i had my first free flowing intake and full catless exhaust. So that probably helped. Engines are air pumps and turbos increase efficiency when cruising by breathing for the engine instead of it needing vaccum yada yada.

Last edited:

javon7065

Reaction score
Thats really low mpg for that many hours. Unless its a ton of idle. Even when i blew my engine it still got 15mpg. From my experience these engines get better mpg when tuned. Even with a lead foot. I did notice a good bit more mpg when switching to AJP Turbo years ago compared to my Livernois tune. And the Livernois tune was alittle better than factory but at the same time i had my first free flowing intake and full catless exhaust. So that probably helped. Engines are air pumps and turbos increase efficiency when cruising by breathing for the engine instead of it needing vaccum yada yada.
No, there’s not a ton of idle at all. I’m doing the recharge of the K and N air filter this weekend, but I know that’s not a huge contributor. Are the AJP Turbo & Livernois tune spreadsheets that you get for forscan? Pardon the ignorance, but I’m just new to all of this. I downloaded and installed it last night and ordered the connector from Amazon. I’m hoping if something is majorly wrong that it’s covered under the ESP warranty.

yaycandy

Aerospace Engineer
Reaction score
No, there’s not a ton of idle at all. I’m doing the recharge of the K and N air filter this weekend, but I know that’s not a huge contributor. Are the AJP Turbo & Livernois tune spreadsheets that you get for forscan? Pardon the ignorance, but I’m just new to all of this. I downloaded and installed it last night and ordered the connector from Amazon. I’m hoping if something is majorly wrong that it’s covered under the ESP warranty.
Not a clue, is there any cel on?
My ajp tune is on sct and livernois on its own device. I only used forscan to get rid of the honk when exiting and to disable the interior lights.
Looking at older posts, i Dont think dirty valves would cause that big of difference in mpg as i have pics of before and after cleaning mine in 2018 with the intake manifold off and my mpg wasnt affected by it. These ecoboost engines get great mpg for the power and torque they produce. I would romp around in my 5oh and get 9mpg and romp around in my sho and still get at least 19mpg full catless. Great flow in and out.

Id replace the o2 sensors. Upper 2, and clean the lower 2. And maybe look into new downpipes where the cats are. Only thing i can think of that would cause bad mpg without a cel. That bad of mpg

Last edited:

n5mj

Mike, N5MJ
Reaction score
Yeah, something is illing in your SHO.
My bone stock 2011, fed 91 its entire life, never drops below 25.5 MPG on any road trip. Car has under 70K on the odo, and I live in SE NM.
Just for s/g, pull the oil K&N, clean your MAF, and try a stock dry air filter for a couple tanks.

yaycandy

Aerospace Engineer
Reaction score
Yeah, something is illing in your SHO.
My bone stock 2011, fed 91 its entire life, never drops below 25.5 MPG on any road trip. Car has under 70K on the odo, and I live in SE NM.
Just for s/g, pull the oil K&N, clean your MAF, and try a stock dry air filter for a couple tanks.
MAF?

yaycandy

Aerospace Engineer
Reaction score
Took a little drive down the highway yesterday. Was around 26mpg on the highway till i got off and played in the Appalachian mountains on a backroad home.

IMG 8469

Chuckman333

Reaction score
I’m rather pleased with my new (to me) 2010.
My wife and I went from Columbus, Ohio to Cincinnati, Ohio to Frankfort, Kentucky then back to Cincinnati where we went around town all day.
When I refueled the tally was overall 23.6 mpg (I reset the MPG every time I fuel).
Cincinnati to Dayton back to Columbus it was overall 25.6 MPG.
I didn’t think that was too shabby for a 365 horsepower AWD car!
Bone stock, BTW, running on 93.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddizzy81

Members online

Back