Front end popping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gazamore

Reaction score
Hey guys i have a 2013 SHO pp that has had a popping noise going on when i turn semi sharply for a while. It almost sounds like if you were to stick something in a ceiling fan. So far i have had the cv joints and lower control arms replaced. But i am still experiancing this noise. Any ideas on what it could be? What else should i check?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

SLO_SHO

Reaction score
Strut mounts? Mine have made a popping noise since I installed H&R springs over 4 years ago and 50k miles...no issues just a noise. Replacing strut upper mounts would take it away but it doesn't bother me personally knowing it won't cause issues.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Gazamore

Reaction score
Thank you! Ill check those out, as long as it wont cause issues or affect the tire wear in any way im cool with some noise.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

SLO_SHO

Reaction score
Definitely look into those. I've had the same tires on since than too, with no uneven wear on them. Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

kryptto

The Best Thing About Cars... ones in my mirror.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have someone stand on the outside of the car and cut the wheels sharp both ways.

154SHO

Reaction score
Have you replaced the sway bar end links yet? That’s what my popping was. Cheap too. My popping was more over bumps though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHOdded

SHO Member
Reaction score
definitely sounds like strut mounts. if you go to replace mounts, best to stick with motorcraft for longevity/performance. they will work well with whatever brand strut you are using.

kryptto

Supporting Member
Reaction score
definitely sounds like strut mounts. if you go to replace mounts, best to stick with motorcraft for longevity/performance. they will work well with whatever brand strut you are using.
Glad I bought mine when replacing my struts, I just bought all nuts bolts boots covers that oem showed. My friend who helped me out said he would of just refused all the parts, I was like so I can complain in 40K miles that stuff is making sounds - I Believe in threads here I have seen that complaint before.

SHOtimeJoe

Reaction score
Had a popping sound when turning sharp. Every time I would turn into my driveway I could hear a pop sound. Replaced inner and outer tie-rods and sound when away. Inner tie-rods were the culprit for me.

SHOrod

Torrie Tuned
Reaction score
Hey guys i have a 2013 SHO pp that has had a popping noise going on when i turn semi sharply for a while. It almost sounds like if you were to stick something in a ceiling fan. So far i have had the cv joints and lower control arms replaced. But i am still experiancing this noise. Any ideas on what it could be? What else should i check?
Does the popping noise happen only once or twice, or for the duration of the turn? Does it make the noise if you turn the steering wheel while stationary or only while moving? With the CV joints and control arms replaced, it's tough to guess since the CV joints would typically be when moving for the duration of the turn yet control arms would typically be a single pop and regardless of whether the car is moving or not.

If the noise happens repeatedly during a turn when moving, does the noise change or go away if you lightly apply the brakes?

-Rod

yaycandy

Aerospace Engineer
Reaction score
I had popping noise when i replaced my front shocks. Was for a little bit and didnt hear it since. Just the springs seating working the binds out i guess. Also made sure the hats were torqued correctly still.

154SHO

Reaction score
Had a popping sound when turning sharp. Every time I would turn into my driveway I could hear a pop sound. Replaced inner and outer tie-rods and sound when away. Inner tie-rods were the culprit for me.

That was also a problem I had. Mine weren’t even that bad yet but making the pop when I would drive in grass but road noise covered it pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gazamore

Reaction score
Does the popping noise happen only once or twice, or for the duration of the turn? Does it make the noise if you turn the steering wheel while stationary or only while moving? With the CV joints and control arms replaced, it's tough to guess since the CV joints would typically be when moving for the duration of the turn yet control arms would typically be a single pop and regardless of whether the car is moving or not.

If the noise happens repeatedly during a turn when moving, does the noise change or go away if you lightly apply the brakes?

-Rod
Only when in motion. The popping happens for the duration that the wheels are cut. As soon as the wheels start to straighten up the sound stops. However its only noticeable at low speeds. During corners at backroads/highway speeds it cannot be heard.

BradM

SHO Member
Reaction score
Only when in motion. The popping happens for the duration that the wheels are cut. As soon as the wheels start to straighten up the sound stops. However its only noticeable at low speeds. During corners at backroads/highway speeds it cannot be heard.
Are you sure they actually replaced your front axles? You are describing a classic failed CV joint.

SHOrod

Torrie Tuned
Reaction score
That sure sounds consistent with a faulty outer CV joint, or maybe one that is loose or not installed properly. I recall a TSB related to a thrust washer that goes between the wheel bearing and the CV joint to prevent a front end noise, although I don't recall specifically the description of the noise. You might try searching for such a Technical Service Bulletin. If you're unable to find it, post back. One of us probably has a link or copy of it saved off.

-Rod

kryptto

Supporting Member
Reaction score

SHOrod

Torrie Tuned
Reaction score
Good info. I think it was this one, although the firewall at work won't allow me to open it and confirm.

10-22-4

* AWD VEHICLES - SHUDDER/CHATTER/VIBRATION ON TURNS OR THUMP/CLUNK NOISE ON LIGHT ACCELERATION - BUILT 10/1/2009 TO 12/31/2009

SHOdded

SHO Member
Reaction score
tsb 10-22-4

Recalls, TSBs, SSMs and Investigations​

many of the attached files were lost during a forum software change but will be re-added over time

Attachments

• TSB 10-22-4 AWD VEHICLES - SHUDDER-CHATTER-VIBRATION ON TURNS OR THUMP-CLUNK NOISE ON LIGHT AC...pdf
    52 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paulie32

Members online

Back