First impressions - XDI EVO HPFP and E30 (Base Tunes)

ridered74

SHO Member
Reaction score
Question guys, im in the same boat as the OP, have 93 tune from Brad. He said i could benefit from the hpfp. Theres a few different versions of it and for my goals, the 35 would suffice. Would getting the EVO be better though? its only a couple 100 more in price. Also can i then use that evo pump on a different car? Like lets say the explorer st which i plan in getting ina few years.
Next question, do i need to upgrade the lpfp as well or would I be ok with the stock one?

I wouldn't pay extra for the evo unless upgraded turbos are in your future plans. Same for the LPFP.

Heck I wouln't bother with the pump if you already want an ST. Go buy one, they are f'ing awesome!

SeanDev

SHO Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay extra for the evo unless upgraded turbos are in your future plans. Same for the LPFP.

Heck I wouln't bother with the pump if you already want an ST. Go buy one, they are f'ing awesome!
He is right, if your going explorer spend the money, well less money on the explorer for pushing good numbers at alot less cost than the SHO. I went with EVO and DW300 for the turbo upgrade on my SHO. You can get away with just the EVO, for me the dual upgrade is for the power but not to max out the system. Same as my new Turbos, they may never see there max potential, but I'll get maximum lifetime in return.

thenewguy

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys but I think my point for buying an evo was taken a little out of context. I have no immediate plans of getting the ST, it was merely of a ki ll 2 birds with one stone situation. I won't mind buying the EVO if it can be used on the ST as well but for what I currently plan, the 35 is more than capable in regards to what I'm looking at done. Second the lpfp, again if my stock unit is more than capable, I don't wanna upgrade. I won't be upgradng turbos. So saying that, if let's say I went with just the Evo and not upgrade the lpfp, would I leaving power on the table? So I'm at IC, DPs, 3 bar, 170 tstat and colder plugs. I'm getting some dips in trims and Brad said the 35 would help but I just got thinking, would getting the EVO be better? Then started wonder do I need to upgrade the lpfp as well hence why the post I made. So the lpfp would benefit only once I upgrade turbos or do something more in addition to where I'm at?

SeanDev

SHO Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys but I think my point for buying an evo was taken a little out of context. I have no immediate plans of getting the ST, it was merely of a ki ll 2 birds with one stone situation. I won't mind buying the EVO if it can be used on the ST as well but for what I currently plan, the 35 is more than capable in regards to what I'm looking at done. Second the lpfp, again if my stock unit is more than capable, I don't wanna upgrade. I won't be upgradng turbos. So saying that, if let's say I went with just the Evo and not upgrade the lpfp, would I leaving power on the table? So I'm at IC, DPs, 3 bar, 170 tstat and colder plugs. I'm getting some dips in trims and Brad said the 35 would help but I just got thinking, would getting the EVO be better? Then started wonder do I need to upgrade the lpfp as well hence why the post I made. So the lpfp would benefit only once I upgrade turbos or do something more in addition to where I'm at?
If your keeping the stock turbos just the EVO should suffice. You can push a E30 tune a little harder with the EVO. For me the LPFP upgrade was a preventative upgrade, a just in case to not starve the EVO on turbo upgrade. But I'm not using any of it at Max potential. Even Brad has now cautioned me with stock internals going any farther, damage is inevitable even though I'm nowhere near maxed out just on fuel delivery. And remember to your stock turbos are going to have a half life when pushed to their max. Why I overkilled everything on upgrades. My last investment is just going ahead and going built. For peace of mind, no mood to throw a rod, might as well prevent it before it even happens.

ridered74

SHO Member
Reaction score

Based on my experience you would not be leaving any power on the table with the setup you describe, especially if you are running 93. My car consistently ran 12.0's on e30 with stock LPFP for three years strong.

I don't think the evo is compatible with the ST (not 100% on that), but on the ST you don't need an upgraded HPFP unless you upgrade the turbos. I run E50 on my ST with completely stock fuel system.

shoftw

SHO Member
Reaction score
The pull started in 3rd gear at 1800 RPM and is making 6 psi with 37% WGDC, by 2500 RPM, boost has built to 9.5 psi and 47% WGDC, where it holds until 3500 RPM where it creeps to 10 psi and 50.27% WGDC and rises to 11.74 psi (peak boost psi) and 58% WGDC at 4560 RPM, boost stays in the 11 psi range until 5750 RPM then it holds between 9.7 - 10 psi until 6500 RPM and hits max WGDC of 66%. For the entire run OAR is 0.28 and long term fuel trims are 1.23 and 1.27.
Did you ever find a fix for this. Having the same problem? Car is definitely slower but everything checks out fine.

Ish416

Reaction score
Did you ever find a fix for this. Having the same problem? Car is definitely slower but everything checks out fine.
Switched from GH to AJPTurbo.

I was 100% convinced there was an issue with my car but I had no idea what it could be as everything I could think to test checked out. Once I went with essentially race gas and E85 mixed to E34 and found no difference at all with the OAR and no performance difference between straight 93, or E30 - E40 (with proper tune), I figured maybe my car wasn’t the issue.

First tune with Brad was while the race fuel mix was still in the tank and miraculously OAR went from 0.28 to -0.96 with just changing tune. Car has been running fantastic and is 100% consistent with no knock on straight 93. Once we get this dialed in, we will be going for E30/E40.

Also, for testing purposes, I reloaded my GH93-EvoFP tune and there was a drastic difference in performance. Boost went from holding 16-17 psi @ high 80’s to mid 90’s WGDC on the AJP93-EvoFP tune to 12 psi and 55% WGDC on the GH93-EvoFP tune. Neither tune had any knock. Another thing worth mentioning on GH 93-EvoFP tune, I lost about 1.5 MPG when switching back to GH tune but cold starts on GH tune sounded beastly considering these engines generally sound like *****. Also, fwiw, the base AJP tune ran better than any other tune I have ever had on this car.

RickyRecon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, fwiw, the base AJP tune ran better than any other tune I have ever had on this car.
I was previously running my gearhead AO tune at about e20-e25. When Brad sent me the base 93 tune, and I went to do the first round of data logging (with straight 93), I got some pretty good torque steer I wasn’t ready for. I knew right then I’d made the right choice. Currently running an e30 tune from him and am very happy with it. Glad you got everything figured out man!

Last edited:

76FoMoCo

SHO Member
Reaction score

I was 100% convinced there was an issue with my car but I had no idea what it could be as everything I could think to test checked out. Once I went with essentially race gas and E85 mixed to E34 and found no difference at all with the OAR and no performance difference between straight 93, or E30 - E40 (with proper tune), I figured maybe my car wasn’t the issue.

First tune with Brad was while the race fuel mix was still in the tank and miraculously OAR went from 0.28 to -0.96 with just changing tune. Car has been running fantastic and is 100% consistent with no knock on straight 93. Once we get this dialed in, we will be going for E30/E40.

Also, for testing purposes, I reloaded my GH93-EvoFP tune and there was a drastic difference in performance. Boost went from holding 16-17 psi @ high 80’s to mid 90’s WGDC on the AJP93-EvoFP tune to 12 psi and 55% WGDC on the GH93-EvoFP tune. Neither tune had any knock. Another thing worth mentioning on GH 93-EvoFP tune, I lost about 1.5 MPG when switching back to GH tune but cold starts on GH tune sounded beastly considering these engines generally sound like *****. Also, fwiw, the base AJP tune ran better than any other tune I have ever had on this car.
Brad doesn't offer a AOT and pins the tune to -96 and let's the knock sensor do the work. His is more load based tune.

SeanDev

SHO Member
Reaction score

Brad is the man. A perfectionist.

DadMobile

Worlds 3rd least slowest Ecoboost SHO
Reaction score
My canned tune ran an 11.6 this year. Probably faster than any SHO will run this year (accept mine), just some friendly competitive smack talk.

Last edited:

DadMobile

Worlds 3rd least slowest Ecoboost SHO
Reaction score
I think I was even capped at 18 psi because the tune was written before I had downpipes.

thenewguy

Reaction score
Brad may not lable it AO, but he did allow for meth to run without being tuned. Appreciate his he way in his tunes
Agreed, his 93/91 tune is sorta like the AO where you can use either but he said you dont wanna go any less than that

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Insidejobrobsho13

Members online

No members online now.