First impressions - XDI EVO HPFP and E30 (Base Tunes)

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
Is Casey's Top Tier? I checked the Top Tier website and they are not listed under that name. Personally, I always try to stick with a Top Tier distributor. I was going to Sheetz and my OAR was terrible. Found out they were not Top Tier. Switched to Meijer on my next tank and within a couple miles, my OAR was excellent. Car felt like it gained a lot of power just switching brands (not octane).
Yeah that was my first thought and checked that earlier this morning. Not top tier gas. THere are alot of variables in gasoline (contamination, different base stock, etc). Like sometimes here you pull up for unleaded and get diesel instead. Plenty of engines to replace on those.

Ta2dResqr

SHO Member
Reaction score
Yeah that was my first thought and checked that earlier this morning. Not top tier gas. THere are alot of variables in gasoline (contamination, different base stock, etc). Like sometimes here you pull up for unleaded and get diesel instead. Plenty of engines to replace on those.
Been hearing about a rash of local Kroger's having 89 in their 93. I'm wondering if a new driver made a mistake or what. Normal cars, not a big issue. So it doesn't seem to pass as quick for one tank for your average A to B driver. As opposed to one of us that is in tune with how the vehicle performs and is tuned more towards the edge. We start trying to find another failure not thinking, "Hey, I bet I got crap gas."

Ta2dResqr

SHO Member
Reaction score
Talking to my tuner, it sounds like I may have an injector issue and that is why I am not seeing the results I expected with the XDI. The current plan is to pull my injectors and take them to a "local" (90 minutes away) shop to have them cleaned and flow tested. I will be $150 ($25/ GDI injector) in for the cleaning. The owner has invited me in to see the shop, equipment, and process. He would also like me to share on here. I am hoping to have that done within the next week or so. Might be beneficial to some of the higher mileage vehicles on here. He does service nationwide. 24-hour turnaround if he receives them by 2 pm. He also has rush shipping and rush service if needed. If anyone is interested in more information before I get mine in there, let me know.

SHOthyme

SHO Member
Reaction score
Is Casey's Top Tier? I checked the Top Tier website and they are not listed under that name. Personally, I always try to stick with a Top Tier distributor. I was going to Sheetz and my OAR was terrible. Found out they were not Top Tier. Switched to Meijer on my next tank and within a couple miles, my OAR was excellent. Car felt like it gained a lot of power just switching brands (not octane).

Agreed, I've had the same issue, now I search for top tier when available.

RickyRecon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
O
Im doing an informal test myself next fill up. Normally I use shell 93. First time I filled up at shell I thought it felt stronger vs the 93 at whatever station I happened to be by when I decided to fill up. Thought it was a placebo thing until I filled up at a Luke’s station a couple months later on a short road trip, and it felt off.

When I wanna mix in a couple gallons of e85, which is most of the time now (there’s no going back haha), speedway is the only station around me that has it, so I’ve been filling up the rest of the way with their 93. Not top tier, but it’s my understanding speedway isn’t too bad either. Next tank I’m going to put my 2.5 gallons in a can, and drive to shell to fill up and mix there. I wanna see if it makes a difference again

FiveLeeter918

Ortiz Performance Sales
Sponsoring Vendor
Reaction score
O

Im doing an informal test myself next fill up. Normally I use shell 93. First time I filled up at shell I thought it felt stronger vs the 93 at whatever station I happened to be by when I decided to fill up. Thought it was a placebo thing until I filled up at a Luke’s station a couple months later on a short road trip, and it felt off.

When I wanna mix in a couple gallons of e85, which is most of the time now (there’s no going back haha), speedway is the only station around me that has it, so I’ve been filling up the rest of the way with their 93. Not top tier, but it’s my understanding speedway isn’t too bad either. Next tank I’m going to put my 2.5 gallons in a can, and drive to shell to fill up and mix there. I wanna see if it makes a difference again

I wouldn't waste the time/potential to spill by putting it in a can. Just add the 2.5 gallons then drive to Shell if you need to. As long as you don't go WOT between stations you'll be fine.

SHOthyme

SHO Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't waste the time/potential to spill by putting it in a can. Just add the 2.5 gallons then drive to Shell if you need to. As long as you don't go WOT between stations you'll be fine.

Ha, this is exactly what I do, 93 and e85 are at separate stations about 2-3 miles apart so I just take it easy between them.

Majestic

SHO Member
Reaction score
TBH, *** n Go has better pizza...
Ha! I wouldn't know. We have both around here, but ain't no way I'm eating pizza from a convenience store.

It's Shell for gas, though. Unfortunately we only have 91, so that's what the SHO eats.

Last edited:

SHOthyme

SHO Member
Reaction score
Ha! I wouldn't know. We have both around here, but ain't know way I'm eating pizza from a convenience store.

It's Shell for gas, though. Unfortunately we only have 91, so that's what the SHO eats.

WHAT!?!?!?!?

I hope you're not going to tell us you don't eat gas station sushi either!

FiveLeeter918

Ortiz Performance Sales
Sponsoring Vendor
Reaction score
WHAT!?!?!?!?

I hope you're not going to tell us you don't eat gas station sushi either!
Only if the owners are Asian...

Gas station deep fried burritos are where it's at though... It is a burrito, or a chimichanga? The world may never know...

Ish416

Reaction score
So ... update.

Refueled with known good fuel from near local drag strip, Sunoco 93 plus a few gallons of 260 GT 100 octane and E85 mixed with ethanol sensor showing 34% ethanol. The difference was amazing...

It actually did nothing. Not a thing. Car runs and drives exactly the same as before. OAR is the same as before.

Matt got back with me on my datalogs, he said, OAR is bad, but no knock at WOT, could be false knock, check knock sensor wires.

I went and checked knock sensor wires and they are fine and intact, no chaffing.

I am not sure what to look for next.

802SHO

Stock Cams
Reaction score
So ... update.

Refueled with known good fuel from near local drag strip, Sunoco 93 plus a few gallons of 260 GT 100 octane and E85 mixed with ethanol sensor showing 34% ethanol. The difference was amazing...

It actually did nothing. Not a thing. Car runs and drives exactly the same as before. OAR is the same as before.

Matt got back with me on my datalogs, he said, OAR is bad, but no knock at WOT, could be false knock, check knock sensor wires.

I went and checked knock sensor wires and they are fine and intact, no chaffing.

A new tuner. [email protected]. (AJPTURBO)

ridered74

SHO Member
Reaction score
So ... update.

After you got the new gas, did you get your oar back to -.96?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dodas

Members online