First impressions - XDI EVO HPFP and E30 (Base Tunes)

Ish416

Reaction score
My mods: XDI Evo HPFP, GH Intercooler, EPP CAI and Hot Pipes, PPE Downpipes, 170 thermostat, gapped plugs, MSD Coilpacks, 3 bar, I’m sure I’m missing some things but essentially, a full bolt on - stock turbo setup.

I installed the XDI EVO HPFP over the weekend which was much more confusing than it needed to be. All documentation is for an older design and it took several hours longer than it should have to install because of that. Anyways, I had nearly a full tank of 93 plus 1.5 gal of E85. I loaded up the AO tune and drove around to get about 35 miles on it before I let it rip, according to my Fuel-it ethanol sensor, I was running E16, so around 94 - 95 octane. The car drove and accelerated the same as it did when it was on the stock HPFP. I expected a little difference but found none. Even broke out the draggy and posted the same times as I average on the stock HPFP. So no improvements, stock HPFP can keep up … so not much to gain anyways.

I drove the SHO back and forth to work all week trying to get under 1/4 tank of fuel. Well … today was that day. I went to my local fuel station that supplies E85. The 1/4 tank I had in the car was showing E16, so I put in 4 gallons and the rest 93. I then drove the car around for about 5 miles, getting on it when possible. Then the ethanol content started going up, so home I went.

I get home, throw on the tuner, install the E30 tune and then go drive around for about 20 miles while the ethanol rating climbs up before finally settling at E32. After the ethanol content settled and I had some mileage on the car (28 miles) with the new tune, it was time.

I was so excited for this, much like the first time I sprayed my Z28 on a 150 shot. That feeling of this going to be a game changer or very bad things are about to happen. I came to a stop on a nice road with fresh pavement and over a mile of nothing. I brake boost the car to around 2300 RPM, let off the brakes and the car launches, the same as it did previously, no slower, no faster, I would guess a 1.9x 60’. I think to myself, it’s torque management or something since I still had TC on, the car is just holding back so it doesn’t spin. Car hits 2nd gear, accelerates through 2nd gear just like it had done hundreds of other times on 93 and stock HPFP, 3rd gear, same thing, I start thinking, am I that desensitized to fast cars that I am just not noticing a difference, 4th gear, deep into 4th gear and no difference from what it had done in similar DA on the stock HPFP and 93. [email protected]*#*! This can’t be right, I check the screen on my X4, everything looks alright, only 16 lbs of boost, which is about what it does on 93, I expected more. Not sure. I am going to get some more miles on it then datalog and send that in for a look over.

At this point, I am incredibly disappointed. The car has not made any performance improvements since the initial tune by Livr-nobodybuytheirshtit. The only difference between them and the GH tune is that the car actually shifts. Otherwise, everything I have done since, to this point has been a waste of time and money.

My current review of the big ticket items -
Downpipes- sound cool, didn’t add any power according to the draggy.
GH Intercooler, lowered IAT substantially when hot out, made car more consistent, no added performance.
EPP CAI and Hot pipes - Junk. Doesn’t fit, missing connectors and have to modify nearly everything to make them fit. Could build your own and save hundreds. Those intake sounds tho…
XDI Evo HPFP - expensive paper weight.

RickyRecon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sucks man. Get a log(s) to Matt ASAP. I haven’t jumped on the e30 bandwagon yet, but I plan to soon. Based on everyone else’s experiences, and the noticeable difference on the AO just from splashing 2 gallons of e85 in my 93 when I fill up, I have to imagine the e30 tune would feel much stronger. It’s gotta be that you just need a revision(s). That, or something is off with the car.

Last edited:

Lowrider1976

Grandma's grocerie getter
Reaction score
My mods: XDI Evo HPFP, GH Intercooler, EPP CAI and Hot Pipes, PPE Downpipes, 170 thermostat, gapped plugs, MSD Coilpacks, 3 bar, I’m sure I’m missing some things but essentially, a full bolt on - stock turbo setup.

I installed the XDI EVO HPFP over the weekend which was much more confusing than it needed to be. All documentation is for an older design and it took several hours longer than it should have to install because of that. Anyways, I had nearly a full tank of 93 plus 1.5 gal of E85. I loaded up the AO tune and drove around to get about 35 miles on it before I let it rip, according to my Fuel-it ethanol sensor, I was running E16, so around 94 - 95 octane. The car drove and accelerated the same as it did when it was on the stock HPFP. I expected a little difference but found none. Even broke out the draggy and posted the same times as I average on the stock HPFP. So no improvements, stock HPFP can keep up … so not much to gain anyways.

I drove the SHO back and forth to work all week trying to get under 1/4 tank of fuel. Well … today was that day. I went to my local fuel station that supplies E85. The 1/4 tank I had in the car was showing E16, so I put in 4 gallons and the rest 93. I then drove the car around for about 5 miles, getting on it when possible. Then the ethanol content started going up, so home I went.

I get home, throw on the tuner, install the E30 tune and then go drive around for about 20 miles while the ethanol rating climbs up before finally settling at E32. After the ethanol content settled and I had some mileage on the car (28 miles) with the new tune, it was time.

I was so excited for this, much like the first time I sprayed my Z28 on a 150 shot. That feeling of this going to be a game changer or very bad things are about to happen. I came to a stop on a nice road with fresh pavement and over a mile of nothing. I brake boost the car to around 2300 RPM, let off the brakes and the car launches, the same as it did previously, no slower, no faster, I would guess a 1.9x 60’. I think to myself, it’s torque management or something since I still had TC on, the car is just holding back so it doesn’t spin. Car hits 2nd gear, accelerates through 2nd gear just like it had done hundreds of other times on 93 and stock HPFP, 3rd gear, same thing, I start thinking, am I that desensitized to fast cars that I am just not noticing a difference, 4th gear, deep into 4th gear and no difference from what it had done in similar DA on the stock HPFP and 93. [email protected]*#*! This can’t be right, I check the screen on my X4, everything looks alright, only 16 lbs of boost, which is about what it does on 93, I expected more. Not sure. I am going to get some more miles on it then datalog and send that in for a look over.

At this point, I am incredibly disappointed. The car has not made any performance improvements since the initial tune by Livr-nobodybuytheirshtit. The only difference between them and the GH tune is that the car actually shifts. Otherwise, everything I have done since, to this point has been a waste of time and money.

My current review of the big ticket items -
Downpipes- sound cool, didn’t add any power according to the draggy.
GH Intercooler, lowered IAT substantially when hot out, made car more consistent, no added performance.
EPP CAI and Hot pipes - Junk. Doesn’t fit, missing connectors and have to modify nearly everything to make them fit. Could build your own and save hundreds. Those intake sounds tho…
XDI Evo HPFP - expensive paper weight.
Maybe a stupid question but you loaded the e30 tune into the car not just onto the sct device right? I only ask because I know a guy who did that once in loading a revision... who shall remain nameless to protect his identity. If not I would have to assume something isn't right because your difference between 93 and the "e16" and e16 to e30 should be a similar extra kick. E30 should put you 96 to 97 octane range essentially. I have yet to hear anyone experience no increase going to e30 on the forum, so it definitely doesn't seem right. Did oar and knock remain in the optimal range?

802SHO

Stock Cams
Reaction score
my honest assessment is I wouldn’t expect much from 16 psi in general. 16 psi 93 vs 16 psi E30 should be noticeable. I don’t get AO tunes I think they are trash, I admit I am close minded on auto octane but the idea just escapes me. Run 93 tune on 93, 91 tune on 91, e30 on e30, etc run the fuel specific for your tuning bc it’s my opinion a tune that can accommodate different fuels HAS to be weaker in creation. However I know this is an E30 specific tune…did you check your OAR before going WOT? That will make a difference. If not -.96 don’t even bother doing a data log or Dragy.

But also 16 psi? Nah, man you need 18 psi all day on stock turbos. At least have Matt meet you in the middle at 17. You got the parts though….there’s a good chance 90% of your issue is tuning. You added the evo to handle more boost and e30 safely but what you got was just the same boring 16 psi tune and the evo making you stupid safe…..and we all know you didn’t fork over 1499 or whatever it costs to be “safer” you forked it over to run (more) boost safely!

Tuning is EVERYTHING (partial rant there)

Last edited:

Ish416

Reaction score
I am 100% positive that I loaded the correct tune.

I tried looking at the oar values but I don't have access to them on my X4, which I am positive I did at some point. When I get home from work I will add that in with livelink. Anything else I should add while I'm in there? The ones I have been watching are boost, iat2, coolant temp, fuel pressure and one for timing advance (I think, don't remember what it is called).

On my way to work with temps in high 60s I floored the car for the first 3 gears and saw boost peak at 16.24 psi and hold consistently between 14-15 lbs. Car still felt no different than with stock HPFP and 93.

SM105K

Streetlight Grand Prix Champ/ IG @fafomotorsports
Reaction score
You jumped the gun. Matt is pretty particular and somewhat conservative with his base tunes. You need to do a couple of logs and then load the revisions. Then you will be happy.

RickyRecon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am 100% positive that I loaded the correct tune.

I tried looking at the oar values but I don't have access to them on my X4, which I am positive I did at some point. When I get home from work I will add that in with livelink. Anything else I should add while I'm in there? The ones I have been watching are boost, iat2, coolant temp, fuel pressure and one for timing advance (I think, don't remember what it is called).

On my way to work with temps in high 60s I floored the car for the first 3 gears and saw boost peak at 16.24 psi and hold consistently between 14-15 lbs. Car still felt no different than with stock HPFP and 93.
It’s gotta just be the base tune. My AO peaks at 18 and change, and holds at 15ish. E30 tune should be higher than that

Last edited:

stripSHO

Idiot Savant
Reaction score
It seems quite possible your biggest problem is comparing minor mods to 150 shots of nitrous and expecting similar gains on the butt dyno.

I picked up around 50 hp switching from 93 to e40. I did it with the stock fuel pump so I certainly agree with you that the XDI is a giant waste for most. But you've got to first realize what a BASE TUNE means and not expect the world from it, especially in the midst of a sweltering heat wave. Send a log in, let your tuna see the fueling is good and start throwing some timing in it.

I made 15 revisions to my e40 tune before I called it good.

Ish416

Reaction score
I feel I need to clear things up. First, I know this is a base tune, therefore extremely conservative - ie safe. I am fully aware that a few revisions will need to happen before things are even close to being dialed in. That is why I specifically stated this was on the base tune. I simply expected some sort of difference over a base E30 tune vs a revised AO tune. The purpose of this post was to share my experience, which was disappointing considering all the hype, again with an understanding that revisions will need to be made.

Also, in no way am I comparing minor mods to a 150 shot of nitrous. I simply stated that I was excited to see some of those 50 hp people are claiming, knowing that there is no way the full 50 hp was going to show themselves on a base tune. I just expected some type of improvement and thus far, everything I have done after the initial tune, spark plugs, thermostat and 3 bar seems to have been a waste.

I will be data logging and sending that in this weekend and posting updates as they happen.

SM105K

Reaction score
It isnt the big hp bump that makes things fun in these cars. It is the big tq bump. My 91 octane tune made 366 hp and 414 tq to the tire. With the current mods in my signature on E30 my car made 411 hp and 546 tq to the tire. That is where you will feel the biggest difference. That is roughly 114 hp and 246 tq over stock.

My SLP Lidded, Magnaflow cat back 1999 Camaro SS made 326 hp 362 tq to the tire in a 6 speed car. It went 13.5 on a street tire pretty consistently. I would venture to say with a 150 shot, it would probably be more violent, but still slower than my SHO.

802SHO

Stock Cams
Reaction score
I must live under a rock. I thought it was rare for GH to offer multiple revisions for the purpose of dialing in a customer’s car to run near 100% optimally. I can only think of two ppl that have received that treatment. If that is the new norm then that’s great.

Ta2dResqr

SHO Member
Reaction score
I must live under a rock. I thought it was rare for GH to offer multiple revisions for the purpose of dialing in a customer’s car to run near 100% optimally. I can only think of two ppl that have received that treatment. If that is the new norm then that’s great.
Same experience. I got more responses from other tuners before I spent any money. My biggest hold up currently is my and my availability. Current tuner is responding usually within 48hrs. Hopefully my fuel line comes in today and I can get datalogs back to him for my HPFP.

Ish416

Reaction score
It isnt the big hp bump that makes things fun in these cars. It is the big tq bump. My 91 octane tune made 366 hp and 414 tq to the tire. With the current mods in my signature on E30 my car made 411 hp and 546 tq to the tire. That is where you will feel the biggest difference. That is roughly 114 hp and 246 tq over stock.

My SLP Lidded, Magnaflow cat back 1999 Camaro SS made 326 hp 362 tq to the tire in a 6 speed car. It went 13.5 on a street tire pretty consistently. I would venture to say with a 150 shot, it would probably be more violent, but still slower than my SHO.
That timing advantage that ethanol offers is huge in boosted applications. As you said, peak numbers are one thing but all the gains in the curve are what makes ethanol and boost such a good combo.

My 99 Z28 6spd has about everything done to it. Ls6 intake, throttle body, Texas speed heads and ms3 cam - all the stuffs plus the 150 shot. It consistently ran low 12's @ 118 ish NA with me babying it out of the hole to not destroy another 10 bolt. On the 150 shot with a tire and the only full pass I've ever attempted without easing it out of the hole was a 10.5 @ 131 and I broke the rear end around the 1000 ft mark shifting into 4th. It is currently on its 4th or 5th 10 bolt. It dyno'd 588 whp and 649wtq on the 150 shot and still got around 28 mpg on highway.

SM105K

Reaction score
Put a 12 bolt or a 9 inch in it. Spend the money, it is worth. My 2001 Z28 had a LME 376 with twin 62 mm turbos, 6 speed, RXT Twin Disc, with a Moser 12 bolt. Made 797/803 to the tire. With all the power shifting and hard launching on a drag radial that rear end never blinked.

stripSHO

Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Though they obviously give the finger to anyone dissatisfied with knock on the base AO tune, I figured an E30 tune would be differerent and revisions would come standard. Is that really not the case?

SM105K

Reaction score
Though they obviously give the finger to anyone dissatisfied with knock on the base AO tune, I figured an E30 tune would be differerent and revisions would come standard. Is that really not the case?
I thought it was standard procedure too. I know for Brad it is. **** I think I have probably over 8 or 9 revisions on my current e30 tune.

802SHO

Stock Cams
Reaction score
I thought it was just canned tunes and no data logs required

Ta2dResqr

SHO Member
Reaction score
Well, got my fuel line from the seller. Tuned to stock then the XDI tune that I was sent. Car is hard to start. Throws codes for low, low side fuel pressure, low rail pressure, and cylinder 2 misfire. So I can't say I feel much more power lol. Looks like I am getting half the desired low side pressure. Not sure why since it has the Hellcat pump. Messaged my tuner but thinking I may have to go back to the stock pump... Again.

Ta2dResqr

SHO Member
Reaction score
Not sure what is going on. Went back to stock hpfp and 93 BT (box tune?). Same issue. Just swapped the tank assembly with the original stock one I had. Same issue. Tuning to stock and then a different tuner I previously had. If that doesn't work, I will go back to all stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erasethegrey

Members online