Factory Wiring harness 2016

joseph mcneal

Reaction score
So I have a 2016 SHO with 34000 miles on it. With the ridiculous price of fuel I've been driving my 01 s-10 to work and back, so my sho was sitting for about 2 weeks. I jumped in and was going to drive it and all the idiot lights lit up. I figured I'd drive to the dealership it's like 4 minutes away from my house. Nope car was in limp mode wouldn't go over 20 mph. So I had it towed to the dealership. After them telling me they had no appointments available for 2weeks I left them the keys. So I waited for a week and called. They had a cancellation and started working on the car and said it was throwing trouble codes and blowing fuses. 2weeks later still hadn't figured it out. On week number 5 I went to the dealership. The service manager asked me if I ever had the driver's seat out? "Umm, no I bought it new. There was no reason for me to take it out" so it turns out that when Ford put the wiring harness in on the driver's side,where it drops under the driver's seat they pinched the harness between the seat mount and the floorpan, put the seat bolt in and cranked it down smashing the harness and destroying about 15 wires. I've had the car for 4 years and never had so much as a bulb go out. So now I'm on week 6 without my ride. I was only posting this in case someone starts having electrical issues and can't figure it out.

SHOrod

Torrie Tuned
Reaction score
This sounds very similar to a situation a co-worker had with their Saturn Outlook. They would only have stalling issues when taking family trips. Many of their family trips involved going to their parent's house. They'd make it about 50 miles from home and have issues, so the dealership up north started to get quite familiar with the vehicle, and every time the fuel pump fuse would be blown, they'd replace the fuse, and the vehicle would typically be good for the rest of the trip (this never really made sense to me based on the final solution). Finally, about about the 3rd trip this happened on, my co-worker told the dealership to hang onto the Outlook until they could figure out the source of the issue. As you probably guessed, a wiring harness for the fuel pump, which ran down the passenger side of the vehicle, was pinched under the seat from when the seat was installed. When there was a passenger in the passenger seat, the harness would get compressed and short the fuel pump feed wire to chassis ground, blowing the fuse. They replaced the harness and routed it properly and never had another issue.

I never really did understand why replacing the fuse would enable them to make it another 150 miles to their destination, and 200 miles back home, with no further issues. Maybe to replace the fuse the dealership would reposition the passenger seat? Doesn't really matter though since they ultimately resolved the issue.

-Rod

joseph mcneal

Reaction score
Are they repairing or replacing the harness?
They have a new harness but it looked like they got it from another Taurus maybe from a junk yard. I told the tech it wasn't new and he agreed. It didn't look bad or anything. It just wasn't new . Probably because of Putin and a supply chain issue. I'm not opposed to using used parts. I do have 3years left on the b to b warranty

Ta2dResqr

SHO Member
Reaction score
They have a new harness but it looked like they got it from another Taurus maybe from a junk yard. I told the tech it wasn't new and he agreed. It didn't look bad or anything. It just wasn't new . Probably because of Putin and a supply chain issue. I'm not opposed to using used parts. I do have 3years left on the b to b warranty
I was just curious about the timeline if they were replacing.