Engine tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clayb226

Reaction score
Hey guys, I got the car started, and drive it some. So, I decided I needed to start a new thread with my new issue. I took the alternator belt off, since the tensioner pulley seems bad. Still ticks. I have read a few possibilities, valve chain tensioners, timing belt tensioner mainly mentioned on ATXs from what I seen? Maybe a couple other things I can't think of quite now? I do plan to check the firing order.

EDIT: I will get a video uploaded, when I figure that out.

Sent from my SM-S236DL using Tapatalk

clayb226

Reaction score
Ok, it wouldn't let me post a video, anyway I have developed a theory of probability! I noticed that the writing on the belt was backwards. I didn't see any timing marks on the belt, but maybe the previous owner took the timing belt off for some reason, and got the timing off? You reckon that plenum might amplify the sound, making the ticking sound?

clayb226

Reaction score
If there is any doubt about the timing belt just replace it. They aren't that expensive.
Yeah, I will tear it back down next weekend if I get a chance. I will ensure there are timing marks, and see how they line up, but I do think it's on backwards...

zoomlater

SHO Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and water pump if you don't know how old it is. you can try finding the tick using a mechanics stethoscope to narrow down where it might be coming from

clayb226

Reaction score
and water pump if you don't know how old it is. you can try finding the tick using a mechanics stethoscope to narrow down where it might be coming from
It needs a water pump, it likely needs a full 120k, but I need to ensure the engine doesn't have an issue. If it needs extensive work, I will have to back burner the car, and move to my 4 runner. It sounds solid, just needs some fuel system components. I will look at getting me mechanics stethoscope, and try to pin point the sound. This is the first time I've been able to hear it run...

rubydist

SHO Master
Staff member
Super Moderators
Reaction score
Post a video to youtube and post a link to it here.

clayb226

Reaction score
I took the alternator belt off, and it still makes the noise. When I get a chance, I will take the other belt off, and try it. I hope it's an accessory. If not, I guess I will dig deeper. The car was kinda surging some, but I played it off as computer learning.

rubydist

SHO Master
Staff member
Super Moderators
Reaction score
Given the tendency of these engines to have rod bearing issues, it is most likely a rod bearing knock, even though it sounds a little different on my computer speakers than a typical rod knock does. I would also be interested to know how loose the timing belt is.

Can you use a stethoscope or long screwdriver to try to narrow down where that noise comes from?

clayb226

Reaction score
Given the tendency of these engines to have rod bearing issues, it is most likely a rod bearing knock, even though it sounds a little different on my computer speakers than a typical rod knock does. I would also be interested to know how loose the timing belt is.

Can you use a stethoscope or long screwdriver to try to narrow down where that noise comes from?
I am hoping it's not a rod bearing. It sounds kinda like a ticking, clanking kinda sound. Nothing like a bearing I have heard before. They are usually a little deeper, lower sounding, but I have not done much with these engines. I will try to tear back into it this coming up weekend, if I get a chance. The timing belt didn't seem that loose? Sounds to be coming more from the top front of the engine to the front of the engine.

rubydist

SHO Master
Staff member
Super Moderators
Reaction score
Maybe a valve shim came out? I have never seen that but some of the other guys have - maybe one of them can chime in with what that sounds like...

clayb226

Reaction score
Maybe a valve shim came out? I have never seen that but some of the other guys have - maybe one of them can chime in with what that sounds like...
A couple people I had listen to it said it sounded like a valve, but didn't know for sure. I was leaning that way some, but I have never removed a valve cover on one of these?

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
Valve covers are easy. You can do that. Just be sure you have access to good gaskets and a little rtv. There are posts with how to and I bet it is on the shophoenix website

clayb226

Reaction score
Ok, I started the old taurus today, had a friend listen to it. The tick was barely there. I reved the engine up, I didn't hear it really. It was way louder last time, including when I shut it off? The car sat for about a year, and I haven't even run it enough to get it up to operating temperature, because the tick was so loud? It seems to be running rich with a darkish gray smoke. Do these valves stick and sound like this, and free up some? It's colder out today, but the oil would of been thicker the other day as well? Tgr tick started out from the get go the other day. Anyway, I was curious about y'alls thoughts? My only other vehicle broke down last night, so I will be working on it this weekend. But might start this up again later? The battery went dead, due to the alternator belt being removed.

Last edited:

clayb226

Reaction score
Ok y'all, I think I am going to slow down on my SHO. I am going to get the 120k service kit, and tear into the engine more. I pulled tge codes from the car, and got a 116,122,159, and 564. These were on KOEO codes. I tried to get codes while running, but it said I had to fix hard codes, 122 and 159 first.I plan to still work on it, but I don't want to rush it to the road, I have been wanting one of these for a very long time. Figure I should do it up right!

Back