Different turning radius with SHO?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deathacus

SHO Member
Reaction score
Hey there! Got a bit of a new conundrum with my rack. Looking at the '94 service manual, it shows the number of steering wheel turns lock-to-lock for Taurus slo as 2.75, but only 2.6 for SHO. Bit weird, huh? Does that imply a different rack for SHO? I know there's a differences between VAPS and not, but wasn't VAPS also available in LX? All of the aftermarket listings I see only specify VAPS
I got a new rack recently from SHOsource, and it does seem to turn the full 2.75 (not symmetrical tho, might have a problem with internal alignment.) I just wanna make sure I got the right thing before I try to fix what I got.

black92

SHO Member
Reaction score
The racks are the same. The SHO has spacers installed to limit full rotation to prevent tire rubbing.
If the spacers are not present, and the tires do not rub, I would not me concerned.

Kebabaluba

Reaction score
The racks are the same. The SHO has spacers installed to limit full rotation to prevent tire rubbing.
If the spacers are not present, and the tires do not rub, I would not me concerned.
So the racks are the same no matter the trim level, engine and even brand (Mercury Sable)?

Deathacus

SHO Member
Reaction score
So the racks are the same no matter the trim level, engine and even brand (Mercury Sable)?
There are basically two racks, depending on weather the car has VAPS. I believe that was optional on some trims, so you'd need to pay attention to what you got.
SHO should be identical to any other car with VAPS, it just has a couple plastic stoppers added at the factory but piece for piece identical otherwise.

black92

SHO Member
Reaction score
There are basically two racks, depending on weather the car has VAPS. I believe that was optional on some trims, so you'd need to pay attention to what you got.
SHO should be identical to any other car with VAPS, it just has a couple plastic stoppers added at the factory but piece for piece identical otherwise.
89-92 did not have vaps
93-95 Had vaps
The racks are technically the same. Vaps was an attachment added with the same rack.
You can remove the attachment and install it to a non vaps equipped rack.

Kebabaluba

Reaction score
89-92 did not have vaps
93-95 Had vaps
The racks are technically the same. Vaps was an attachment added with the same rack.
You can remove the attachment and install it to a non vaps equipped rack.
I see. There are better deals on the rack if i choose base Taurus or even a Sable. Good to know.

black92

SHO Member
Reaction score
I see. There are better deals on the rack if i choose base Taurus or even a Sable. Good to know.
Early Taurus/Sable racks are different. I do not remember the date of change. I would avoid 86-88 racks.

Kebabaluba

Reaction score
Early Taurus/Sable racks are different. I do not remember the date of change. I would avoid 86-88 racks.
Well i would stick to gen 2 racks as that is the gen i have. I just noticed that there are better deals for Sable racks, even with VAPS as advertised.

Back