(De)Tuning Question

dhickey

Reaction score
I just bought a 2013 PI with the Ecoboost. My soon to be 16yr old son needed a ride. I thought I'd get something I wanted to rip around in, and something he can mod when appropriate. The PTU was replaced under warranty 28k ago, and I plan to get the timing chain and water pump done proactively. I'm all too familiar with the timing chain failure on my F-150 and want to avoid downtime when he's actually driving it.

My question is on the best tuning options. I'd like a fuel economy tune for him, with the ability to add a rev and/or speed limit until he's proven he's not an idiot behind the wheel. I'd also like a performance tune for when I drive it (won't have his license for a few months), but not sure how easy it is to go back and forth with the different tuners.

Thanks,

yaycandy

Aerospace Engineer
Reaction score
You can set those settings on a factory sho with mykey. Not sure about the dumbed down PI

dhickey

Reaction score
Not sure that's going to work on a PI, but I'll have a look. They have old school keys with a separate fob for the door locks.

stripSHO

Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Mykey only sets a speed limit and radio nannies. Still leaves plenty of opportunity for recklessness until that speed is reached. Any aftermarket tuner can turn the power down to literally any power level you desire. Take it down to 50 hp if you want. That should be enough to do 0-60 in a minute or so. But IMO a car that can't get out of its own way is just as dangerous, so I would maybe cap it at like 200 hp.

Ta2dResqr

SHO Member
Reaction score
ForScan is another option that has limited options for limits such as radio volume, speed, etc. Overall though, I would agree a tuner is the best option. This will allow things like limiting boost. ForScan would still be a nice option for different features. There are a couple of PI specific options such as "dark car" (factory has them set to not light up when a door opens for stealth/not silhouetting the officer) can be turned off, controlling how the doors and trunk are unlocked, etc. The other advantage over MyKey is you can choose speed limiters, choose volume limiters, I believe you can even make it so things like ESC/TSC, LDW, etc cannot be turned off without going back into the software.

dhickey

Reaction score
I think I'm going to go with a tuner. Any recommendations if I wanted to switch between tunes when I drive it? Is that more work/time than it's worth?