Cooling fan turns on as soon as key is in the accessory position and it wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim Brand

Reaction score
92 sho Started car about 3 weeks ago fired right up no issues went to take out of storage today hooked battery up as soon as I turned the key to the accessory position radiator fan comes on cranks but won't start.checked fuses none blown changed ccrm with a spare I had same issue, Possible pcm?

Tim Brand

Reaction score
CCRM controls the fan. Not sure what else it controls.
If I remember right the fuel pump relay is in the ccrm also I have psi at the Schrader valve not getting spark or it's not activating the injectors, and the cooling fan has never ran like that before I started the car so I'm just curious I'll have to try to pull cel tomorrow I have another pcm from my parts car hoping it's the same it's out of a 91 so chances are good but we will have to see thanks for the comment I'll update if I figure it out.

Tim Brand

Reaction score
other than Cali emission variants, all the pcm's for the manual cars

other than Cali emission variants, all the pcm's for the manual cars are interchangeable
That's what I though I really have no background on the parts car I picked it up out of Wisconsin so I'm probably safe but sometimes these cars have traveled long distances. Any input on being the pcm as the issue this is the first time I've experienced this issue on a 1st or 2nd gen sho I've owned 3 over the years and always had pretty good luck with them considering how fragile the can be

zoomlater

SHO Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
try cleaning and making sure all your grounds are good
one of cars started doing this, fans come on when you turn the ignition on, but it would start. Looking through some postings, it was cleaning and making sure the grounds were good, or maybe the PCM could have a corroded ground pin or is bad. I haven't had a chance to swap out the PCM yet as it's a car that sit in storage and I can still move it around.

FastCAD

SHO Member
Reaction score
92 sho Started car about 3 weeks ago fired right up no issues went to take out of storage today hooked battery up as soon as I turned the key to the accessory position radiator fan comes on cranks but won't start.checked fuses none blown changed ccrm with a spare I had same issue, Possible pcm?
run the pcm (K)ey (O)n (E)ngine (O)ff test. if no signal from the pcm then that is the problem.

Tim Brand

Reaction score
Well finally made it out to the storage unit to work on the car it will fire rite up on starting fluid so I'm leaning towards fuel pump or fuel pump reset switch which isn't tripped but may have failed?

Tim Brand

Reaction score
did you get any fuel pressure at the Schrader valve?
Yes but it's not great and I'm not hearing the pump run also tried to get the codes but that's not seeming to work either. I cleaned up a few grounds with no change to the issue. I did reset the fuel pump switch in the trunk that also did nothing. I'm thinking it's fuel related or that it's not activating the injection system. Any other ideas would be appreciated otherwise I'll have to try to put a pump in and go from there just didn't really want to drop the tank if I didn't need to.

Tim Brand

Reaction score
Yes but it's not great and I'm not hearing the pump run also tried to get the codes but that's not seeming to work either. I cleaned up a few grounds with no change to the issue. I did reset the fuel pump switch in the trunk that also did nothing. I'm thinking it's fuel related or that it's not activating the injection system. Any other ideas would be appreciated otherwise I'll have to try to put a pump in and go from there just didn't really want to drop the tank if I didn't need to.
I also swapped out the ccrm with one from my parts car both (M) code that did nothing either I was going to swap the pcm but parts car is a 91 and they don't match. Would the barometric air pressure sensor cause any of these issues? I noticed that the casing is cracked pretty badly. Didn't think that would affect it starting though.

zoomlater

SHO Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you know if it the original fuel pump, maybe the fuel filter is clogged? I once found my old filter installed backward

Tim Brand

Reaction score
That I'm not sure of its possible this car has a lot of original equipment on it. But it did start 3 weeks ago and it fired right up. Is there supposed to be a vacuum hose connected to that BAP sensor?

zoomlater

SHO Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not near any of my cars so I can't easily look, hopefully someone else can chime on

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
That I'm not sure of its possible this car has a lot of original equipment on it. But it did start 3 weeks ago and it fired right up. Is there supposed to be a vacuum hose connected to that BAP sensor?
No, just open to atmo

Tim Brand

Reaction score
Well update cleaned all grounds and still had the same symptoms. Swapped out pcm X2J with the LOS one from my 91 and she fired right up. So now I'll have to wait for one to pop up on sho Source or if someone has a x2j on the forum the are willing to part with let me know.

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
I can usually find those on ebay and I hear that the facebook SHO group is a great place for used parts.
If the LOS works fine, you won't really need an X2J... except I like to keep an extra on hand just in case. You won't notice a difference in performance between LOS and X2J

Tim Brand

Reaction score
Right except for pulling codes you will only get 2 digit codes with the los. But ya would be nice to have a spare. I also opened up the x2j and it looks great inside no blown capacitors or and black spots on the board so I'm assuming a Mico processor failed or something along those lines

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddizzy81

Members online

Back