Cobra r brembo brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gamefanatic

SHO Member
Reaction score
Patrick. You are correct. The mount holes will be the same, but line connections may the problem, I think the Brembo uses a different end. Distance may also be a problem. The Cobra front lines are about 18". Ours are about 24".

At any rate worst thing to consider is having to have a custom line made up.

I haven't looked at the dimensions, but I've always thought the Brembos were a bit wider, but that may just depend on the model.

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
I should have said it is doable with enough spacing/wheel size. The larger brake kits to include wilwood and TCE kits that I have seen were under 17" or larger wheels. I see Todd went from SHO motor to Honda for his hill climb car this year.

gamefanatic

SHO Member
Reaction score
Good point. Cobra/Mach I kits do require 17" rims. At which point you should look at getting a wider setup to match the extra stopping power. Without ABS the stock brakes can over run the stock size. Ask me how I know... :confused:

Qshiplvr

SHO Member
Reaction score
Good point. Cobra/Mach I kits do require 17" rims. At which point you should look at getting a wider setup to match the extra stopping power. Without ABS the stock brakes can over run the stock size. Ask me how I know... :confused:
There is an extra consideration when upgrading your rims to 17" to accommodate the larger Cobra R brake discs. That is this...when you get a flat, if it is the front tire, you will need to change TWO tires, because the stock donut will NOT fit the front larger brakes. I've always wondered what Cobra owners did when they got a flat, but never having owned a Cobra or 'Stang, I claim ignorance.

So, get a front flat, jack the car up, swap out your good (non-flat) rear rim/tire from the rear, then mount the donut spare on the rear. This happened to JohntheSHOguy who was tempting me with the Cobra R upgrade, but I kinda balked at finding a larger rim/tire combo that looked good like the stock 5-star, and the spare issue.

gamefanatic

SHO Member
Reaction score
There is an extra consideration when upgrading your rims to 17" to accommodate the larger Cobra R brake discs. That is this...when you get a flat, if it is the front tire, you will need to change TWO tires, because the stock donut will NOT fit the front larger brakes. I've always wondered what Cobra owners did when they got a flat, but never having owned a Cobra or 'Stang, I claim ignorance.

So, get a front flat, jack the car up, swap out your good (non-flat) rear rim/tire from the rear, then mount the donut spare on the rear. This happened to JohntheSHOguy who was tempting me with the Cobra R upgrade, but I kinda balked at finding a larger rim/tire combo that looked good like the stock 5-star, and the spare issue.
PAid up AAA road side service!

Qshiplvr

SHO Member
Reaction score
When you went to 17" rims, did you consider the 17" rims that are also Ford OEM rims of later models, like the Focus? I think the later models, with the Titanium trim level were running 17" OEM wheels with the same bolt pattern. Only thing I'm not certain about is if the offset is w/in what we can use without a spacer.

Irish Pride

Irish Inside
Staff member
Super Moderators
Reaction score

You are supposed to do this regardless. Mini/donut spares are not supposed to be mounted on a drive axle. It can damage the differential. The donut spare always goes in the rear on a FWD car.

-Chad

gamefanatic

SHO Member
Reaction score
You are supposed to do this regardless. Mini/donut spares are not supposed to be mounted on a drive axle. It can damage the differential. The donut spare always goes in the rear on a FWD car.

-Chad
True. While he should get an appropriate sized spare, you could just swap the good tire from the rear to the front and put the spare on the rear. They won't have the oversized brakes.
This all assumes the overall diameter of the new tire is different from the spare (very likely).

I used my spare on the front after 26 years of sitting in the trunk only to go 1 mile to get it swapped to the new tire. While it looked brand new, I was more worried it might have structural issues for anything more. But normally I just get a tow or take the rim to get the tire on.

Back