Clutch Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sportfan

Reaction score
I'm a new SHO owner with a '91 model. The clutch petal takes more pressure to use than any car or truck I've owned. One of my manuals says to pick up on the pedal and I should hear a click. I don't. So, I am guessing the automatic adjustment feature isn't working. Is there a cure for the hard clutch? Also, the shifter is pretty difficult too. I have cables on the shifter linkage. I'm not sure which bushing kits I need to fix the shifter. I've been looking on SHO Source. Any suggestions?

zoomlater

SHO Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

you can search this forum for stiff clutch and see the post that pop up

you can email shosource to ask them which parts you apply to the cable shifter

Eric B

Reaction score
My adjuster was not working (~ 180,000 miles) so I was adjusting myself and it would keep de-adjusting. I replaced the cable because I thought it might be stretched due to the mileage but no change. Problem was the shift linkage bushings, of course you have to remove the transmission to replace them. Has worked perfect since I installed the new bushings.

BaySHO Performance

SHO Member
Reaction score
My adjuster was not working (~ 180,000 miles) so I was adjusting myself and it would keep de-adjusting. I replaced the cable because I thought it might be stretched due to the mileage but no change. Problem was the shift linkage bushings, of course you have to remove the transmission to replace them. Has worked perfect since I installed the new bushings.
Not sure why you have to remove the transmission. All I have ever had to do is to disconnect the cable or rod shifter from the transmission.

My boilerplate on adjusting the clutch cable:
When clutches get worn, problems with them come in two ways:

- The friction disk gets too thin to fully grab the pressure plate, and the clutch starts to slip. A rare occurrence. There is no remedy for this.

Manifests itself by the revs suddenly going up without an increase in speed. This usually starts in fifth gear and is more prevalent under hard acceleration. Caused by slipping the clutch on an upshift with aggressive acceleration. The fingers on the pressure plate only move 80 thou to release the friction disk, so it doesn’t take much.

- Worn fingers on the pressure plate. Much more common. The clutch is not fully disengaging and becomes difficult or even impossible to change gears. The Throw Out Bearing has worn the pressure plate fingers down on the clutch, creating a gap between the TOB and the fingers. The following will get you through for now, but don't wait too long to replace the clutch.

The end of the clutch cable is attached to a quadrant on the clutch pedal. It can be adjusted to raise the pedal engagement point off the floor, allowing the clutch to fully disengage. Puts more tension in the cable and pushes the TOB closer to the fingers. No adjustment needed otherwise. Makes things worse if the friction disk is too thin.

If you look closely at the pedal, you will see a light blue rectangle. This is the end of the toothed quadrant. Push the pedal down with one hand, and then let it go while holding the end of the quadrant in place with the thumb of your other hand, or a suitable socket if too painful. If done right, you will hear one or more loud clicks. I'd start with no more than three.

Be aware that raising the clutch pedal beyond its normal resting point releases the clutch quadrant, and you will be back to square one.

Nick Chrimes, BaySHO Performance

kevinspann

Crush it!
Reaction score
Perhaps the bushings he was referring to were the ones that center the rod that the throw out bearing fork is bolted to, inside the bellhousing.

sportfan

Reaction score

you can search this forum for stiff clutch and see the post that pop up

you can email shosource to ask them which parts you apply to the cable shifter
Thanks. I've emailed shosource about the shifter parts but haven't heard back from them. I would really like to be able to call and talk to a person.

Irish Pride

Irish Inside
Staff member
Super Moderators
Reaction score
Thanks. I've emailed shosource about the shifter parts but haven't heard back from them. I would really like to be able to call and talk to a person.
Are you on Facebook at all? Mike Stimson is the owner of SHO Source and hes in all of the SHO groups. Check out the Gen1 and Gen2 group as well as the Gen1, 2, and 3 group. You can tag him there or message him directly.

I regards to your problem, the one time i had a really stiff clutch pedal it was because the shift lever/fork had gotten really corroded and was binding up. Remove the clutch cable from the shift lever on top of the transmission and see how difficult it is to move the lever. It should be very easy to move it back and forth with the cable off. Try that and report back.

-Chad

sportfan

Reaction score
Are you on Facebook at all? Mike Stimson is the owner of SHO Source and hes in all of the SHO groups. Check out the Gen1 and Gen2 group as well as the Gen1, 2, and 3 group. You can tag him there or message him directly.

I regards to your problem, the one time i had a really stiff clutch pedal it was because the shift lever/fork had gotten really corroded and was binding up. Remove the clutch cable from the shift lever on top of the transmission and see how difficult it is to move the lever. It should be very easy to move it back and forth with the cable off. Try that and report back.

-Chad
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Back