Clutch cable broke/stretched

Reaction score
95 sho mtx. Driving it hard,went for third and heard a little noise.i thought it was a small rock hitting under car.it wasn't that loud. So now It won't go into gear with car on.if I cut car off it will shift into gears,and drive. I can even float the gears into next gear, without using clutch.i know it's not good for it.i just had to get home.i haven't been able to look at it because it happened on way to work.do you think my cable is screwed? I have heard/felt almost like crunching sound from quadrant every once in awhile when I pressed clutch pedal down. If it is my cable can any one tell me on how to replace it?? Please help me.thank you.

Reaction score
Sounds like clutch failure to me. Either a spring broke loose or the TOB wore thru the fingers. I think you will need a new clutch kit.

-Chad
Damn.thank you Chad. I was just getting other kinks worked out and now this. I'm the guy that recently bought the Yamaha decals from you.what cheap replacement do you recommend? Thank you.

Irish Pride

Irish Inside
Staff member
Super Moderators
Reaction score
Damn.thank you Chad. I was just getting other kinks worked out and now this. I'm the guy that recently bought the Yamaha decals from you.what cheap replacement do you recommend? Thank you.
I would do some digging before you tear into it, but that is what it sounds like to me. Exact same symptoms happened to me once in my 91+. Cruising on the interstate and pulled off on the exit and went to put it into 1st and it wouldnt budge. I had to turn the car off to get it in gear. Clutch disc had a broken spring.

Rockauto
Sachs - K0122-01
one year warranty

Oreillys
PTQ - K0122-01
lifetime warranty

Same exact kit either way.

-Chad

PS - the broken clutch in my 91+ was an Oreillys lifetime warranty and they replaced it no questions asked.

Reaction score
I would do some digging before you tear into it, but that is what it sounds like to me. Exact same symptoms happened to me once in my 91+. Cruising on the interstate and pulled off on the exit and went to put it into 1st and it wouldnt budge. I had to turn the car off to get it in gear. Clutch disc had a broken spring.

Rockauto
Sachs - K0122-01
one year warranty

Oreillys
PTQ - K0122-01
lifetime warranty

Same exact kit either way.

-Chad

PS - the broken clutch in my 91+ was an Oreillys lifetime warranty and they replaced it no questions asked.
Ok.thank you so much.damn I think you're probably right.i think that spring broke to be honest.but I'll look and see if maybe cable or quadrant is ******. Man this sucks because I'm gonna have to find somebody to do the clutch for me.im not confident enough at all to do it myself.

Reaction score
Could this be the problem? This cable seems stretched.the pedal feels softer too.im not putting a whole lot of force when I move cable.

Reaction score
Could this be the problem? This cable seems stretched.the pedal feels softer too.im not putting a whole lot of force when I move cable.
I tried to put video on here I don't know how to I guess. The cable feels stretched.i may be wrong though. But I can move it side to side easily probably 1/2 inch or more side to side

rubydist

SHO Master
Staff member
Super Moderators
Reaction score
Its possible that the cable adjustment thing broke. That's on the pedals under the steering wheel. Look at that first.

Irish Pride

Irish Inside
Staff member
Super Moderators
Reaction score
Check the bushing on top of the transmission to see if its still there or possibly separated. Its white plastic and the clutch cable goes thru it right before it attaches to the clutch fork.

-Chad

Reaction score
Its possible that the cable adjustment thing broke. That's on the pedals under the steering wheel. Look at that first.
I looked at pedal last night and couldn't tell if anything was broken.it didn't seem like there was,but I don't know anything about these cars,and it's so hard to see around there.it really seems like something to do with cable or adjustment.but again I don't know anything about these cars

Reaction score
Check the bushing on top of the transmission to see if its still there or possibly separated. Its white plastic and the clutch cable goes thru it right before it attaches to the clutch fork.

-Chad
It looked like there was a bushing where cable went through going to clutch fork.but when I touched it,it crumbled.so..... I don't know if that matters

Irish Pride

Irish Inside
Staff member
Super Moderators
Reaction score
If the bushing crumbled when you messed with it then they very well could be your problem. That bushing is what keeps the cable in place while it pulls back the clutch fork.

-Chad

Reaction score
If the bushing crumbled when you messed with it then they very well could be your problem. That bushing is what keeps the cable in place while it pulls back the clutch fork.

-Chad
I honestly believe that is what's wrong with my car. Both the bushing and the adjuster. My clutch always seemed to release toward the top.as well as I could never get it to click when I pulled up on clutch pedal to try and adjust it. How do you replace the adjuster and quadrant? It looks so complicated when I looked at it other day. I've done one on my mustang,but that was way less complex.thank you.

Reaction score
Its possible that the cable adjustment thing broke. That's on the pedals under the steering wheel. Look at that firsIMG 20220522 011001361

-Chad

I honestly believe that is what's wrong with my car. Both the bushing and the adjuster. My clutch always seemed to release toward the top.as well as I could never get it to click when I pulled up on clutch pedal to try and adjust it. How do you replace the adjuster and quadrant? It looks so complicated when I looked at it other day. I've done one on my mustang,but that was way less complex.thank you.

Reaction score
Quadrant seems good.cable seems good,not broken. But this picture is of cable going to clutch fork.the bushing is messed up it looks like. I can wiggle it up and down,side to side and crack is spreading when I move it. On the front side(front toward clutch fork side) there isn't a bushing at all, anything holding it at all.that is what I seen crumble when I moved cable the other day. Could this issue cause my car to not go into gear when car is running?? But will go into gear with car off.

rubydist

SHO Master
Staff member
Super Moderators
Reaction score
You need to replace that bushing. There may be more issues than that (these cars are old enough they typically have multiple problems) but that one needs to be fixed.

Reaction score
It looked like there was a bushing where cable went through going to clutch fork.but when I touched it,it crumbled.so..... I don't know if that matters

You need to replace that bushing. There may be more issues than that (these cars are old enough they typically have multiple problems) but that one needs to be fixed.
So could this cause my car to not go into gear? Also do I just need a bushing or is that part of the cable? Basically do I need a cable also?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erasethegrey

Members online