Camshaft position sensor

GKDRUMMER1

Reaction score
I have been having trouble with OBD-II codes
P0340,P0344, AND P0302
P0340 & P0344 are both camshaft position sensor related.

P0302 Is a cylinder 2 misfire code.

I need help locating the sensors,and possibly diagnosing this.

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
If the misfire in #2 is correct then maybe you have unburned fuel. Have you checked the ignition coil and sparkplug?

Cylinder locations
firewall
1 2 3

4 5 6

front of vehicle

I would swap the ignition coil from the rear bank cyl #2 with one in front and see if the misfire follows the coil. IF so, you have found the reason for a miss and how to fix. I would also get new plugs just for fun and examine the old ones. What year and how many miles on this thing? Do you have a code reader capable of erasing codes? That always helps to see if the old ones aren't just hanging around.

SHOdded

SHO Member
Reaction score
not sure of MY or mileage info, which would be great to add to OP

but gdi injectors are just not reliable, at least on the SHO. many times we have had members needing to replace them. if you replace 1, replace them all. unfortunately not as easy as on a PFI engine because the injectors are in the heads.

are there any timing issues? are you seeing knock? what are the fuel trim values?

i generally tell people not to look at cam sensor codes as necessarily the electronic part but to remember ford also designates the phasers as cam sensors. true story.

still likely it is an injector since it is running rich. the electronic sensors themselves rarely fail in comparison.

GKDRUMMER1

Reaction score
If the misfire in #2 is correct then maybe you have unburned fuel. Have you checked the ignition coil and sparkplug?

Cylinder locations
firewall
1 2 3

4 5 6

front of vehicle

I would swap the ignition coil from the rear bank cyl #2 with one in front and see if the misfire follows the coil. IF so, you have found the reason for a miss and how to fix. I would also get new plugs just for fun and examine the old ones. What year and how many miles on this thing? Do you have a code reader capable of erasing codes? That always helps to see if the old ones aren't just hanging around.
I've already replaced all my coils and sparkplugs within the last couple months.
It is a 2014 with 124k
I've replaces the sensor and it's still really slow on starting up,and when it does start up,it idles like shit and you can smell the gas.

GKDRUMMER1

Reaction score
not sure of MY or mileage info, which would be great to add to OP

but gdi injectors are just not reliable, at least on the SHO. many times we have had members needing to replace them. if you replace 1, replace them all. unfortunately not as easy as on a PFI engine because the injectors are in the heads.

are there any timing issues? are you seeing knock? what are the fuel trim values?

i generally tell people not to look at cam sensor codes as necessarily the electronic part but to remember ford also designates the phasers as cam sensors. true story.

still likely it is an injector since it is running rich. the electronic sensors themselves rarely fail in comparison.
My car is a 2014 non PP with 124k
So if I replaced the camshaft position sensor and I'm still having troubles (rough idling,smell of gas,doesn't like to crank right away) you're saying it could be my cam phasers or my fuel injectors?

Ta2dResqr

SHO Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't there be a code for the FI
Technically, I guess, the misfire code is the code. It says there is a misfire. It doesn't say spark, fuel, combustion, etc. issue. It groups it all. There isn't a code that says to replace fuel injector 4 due to failure.

GKDRUMMER1

Reaction score
Technically, I guess, the misfire code is the code. It says there is a misfire. It doesn't say spark, fuel, combustion, etc. issue. It groups it all. There isn't a code that says to replace fuel injector 4 due to failure.
Well I just made the choice of buying a warranty so when my turbos go out so hopefully it covers my fuel rails/FI.

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
All good tips. If the spark at the cylinder is good then look at fuel, timing (mechanical), a:f metering, timing metering (sensor input), electronic control (computer functions).

YEar and mileage..alot of things start to get suspect at this mileage. Timing sets, wear parts/sensors everything is near its normal possible to fail point.

If you consider possible injector fail..Same concept for ignition. You can swap the injector with another cylinder and see if the miss follows the injector.
OR
a semi-sophisticated scanner should be able to real time see what is going on, or a few recommendations here could help pinpoint. You have to evaluate getting (buy/borrow) a scantool capable of this, paying for a pro to diagnose, and/or looking at higher probability failure parts and decide speed, accuracy and cost to find and repair. This is all mix and match so.. how much time and money do you want to save/spend chasing it down and fixing it?

THis is all multivariable decision making. Mix and match ideas based on budget and comfort with tackling it yourself. Report back with how this progresses.