Building a proper restomod project.

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
There was one in the classifieds and someone posted info about crate engines or something. Is that post still on the forum?

zoomlater

SHO Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

FastCAD

SHO Member
Reaction score
Price drop
That recent post was removed???
the owners son was selling his dad's collection of 3 sho engines & parts in west palm beach, fl.
he was not aware of the forums protocols.
I reached out to him with my e-mail & phone.
will advise if he responds.
I offered to help him list his items for sale in the forums classified.

FastCAD

SHO Member
Reaction score
That recent post was removed???
the owners son was selling his dad's collection of 3 sho engines & parts in west palm beach, fl.
he was not aware of the forums protocols.
I reached out to him with my e-mail & phone.
will advise if he responds.
I offered to help him list his items for sale in the forums classified.
I have not heard from the owner's son.
you might want to check FB. he was referred there by someone (if he got it)?
will update if any thing changes.

PastaPirate13

Reaction score
Alright well it looks like I've found a replacement engine built pretty much exactly as I wanted mine done so it looks like I might actually finish this thing this year! As excited as I am though I've got a long way to go still and I'm sure I'll run into plenty of problems and have to order more parts here and there. To get started though I've got a few things already.

Suspension and brakes are first on the list, and so far I've got:

Brakes! Current pads and rotors look okay but they've been sitting for awhile now and who knows when they were last replaced? I originally wanted to do Cobra brakes, but I like the stock slicers and want to be able to continue to use them even if I eventually put a different set of wheels on it someday.
IMG 20230107 164952908 HDRIMG 20230107 165007559

And of course to go along with those I've got brake bias plugs. Seemed like the easiest solution to the brake bleeding issue.
IMG 20230107 165558248

And along with the fresh brakes I've got these wonderful stainless steel brake lines. Should stiffen up that pedal a good bit.
IMG 20230107 170131920

And of course can't forget to swap out all those old, worn out rubber bushings with fresh, stiff polyurethane ones! The end links also looked pretty raggedy, especially the rears, so they're also being replaced to go with the thick boi first gen sway bars.
IMG 20230107 165540063IMG 20220407 125332036
And last but certainly not least, the subframe bushings. I wanted to go solid aluminum, but they're a bit pricey, so for the time being I decided to go with 3rd gen rears.
IMG 20230107 171630924

Now all it needs to do is stop raining so I can get out there and get going!

FastCAD

SHO Member
Reaction score
Alright well it looks like I've found a replacement engine built pretty much exactly as I wanted mine done so it looks like I might actually finish this thing this year! As excited as I am though I've got a long way to go still and I'm sure I'll run into plenty of problems and have to order more parts here and there. To get started though I've got a few things already.

Suspension and brakes are first on the list, and so far I've got:

Brakes! Current pads and rotors look okay but they've been sitting for awhile now and who knows when they were last replaced? I originally wanted to do Cobra brakes, but I like the stock slicers and want to be able to continue to use them even if I eventually put a different set of wheels on it someday.
View attachment 86055View attachment 86056

And of course to go along with those I've got brake bias plugs. Seemed like the easiest solution to the brake bleeding issue.
View attachment 86057

And along with the fresh brakes I've got these wonderful stainless steel brake lines. Should stiffen up that pedal a good bit.
View attachment 86058

And of course can't forget to swap out all those old, worn out rubber bushings with fresh, stiff polyurethane ones! The end links also looked pretty raggedy, especially the rears, so they're also being replaced to go with the thick boi first gen sway bars.
View attachment 86059View attachment 86060
And last but certainly not least, the subframe bushings. I wanted to go solid aluminum, but they're a bit pricey, so for the time being I decided to go with 3rd gen rears.
View attachment 86061

Now all it needs to do is stop raining so I can get out there and get going!
The '96 brake upgrade is a good alternative. Consists of '94 spindles with '96 sho calipers and rotors (11-1/2") and you get to keep the slicers. I did this to my '91 many years ago and have not regretted it. I would recommend sub frame connectors. This was the first upgrade to my sho in '94 and there isn't enough room here to tell all the times those connectors kept the front & rear going in the same direction. U can easily have your own made & there are specs. avail.

It's really good to hear u are moving along. It's very exciting.
best to ya.

Last edited:

Tbird6

Reaction score
I also went with tubular rear control arms and back in the day we adapted stock GM rear control arms to the SHO. Now you can get the rear aligned when you lower the car.
I no longer see this swap so I guess it's not done anymore or they use after market (and quite expensive!) adjustable rear control arms?

Another vote for the 96+ brake upgrade. Uses stock parts and is a nice upgrade in braking and you will LOVE the SS brake lines too! The rear bias plugs are another great addition!

PastaPirate13

Reaction score
I should also add that I'll be getting new shocks all around and new first gen rear springs. I'm leaning toward the KYB Excel Gs from shosource unless there's a better alternative. I'll likely also be getting new shock mounts and eccentric bushings if needed.

PastaPirate13

Reaction score
New parts!

Just got a hella good deal on a Tweecer tuner, AFR meter and some white face gauges.
IMG 20230117 145055651 HDR

KYB Excel G struts and new rear strut mounts from SHOsource are on the way and should be here in a week or so. Then the fun begins!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theexo

Members online