Blower motor /fans acting strange

joe4sho

Reaction score
So I normally turn on the cabin air in my 92 when it gets a little hot, I haven't had time to check the ac but that's not really my concern. After having coffee I came to my car and turned it on, but it wasn't as hot today so I turned it off, but I noticed the defrost vent/fan was on so I kept trying to turn the fans on and off but nothing. The n after trying that for a bit I turned to temp cometely off and set fans dial all the way down to lo. Decided oh well I'll get to that later, then I noticed it (the front defrost) seemed like they were slowing down to a halt, which it finally did, like it was going off of the remaining momentum. Fans work now but I figured it could be something going out. Any thoughts on what this could be

Irish Pride

Irish Inside
Staff member
Super Moderators
Reaction score
Turn the EATC completely off. Turn the car off if it isn't already and then start the car. If the defrost comes on at startup even though the EATC is turned off then that is a tell tale sign of the blower motor speed controller (resister) going bad. The other tell tale sign is the speed dial on the EATC not working. It will either be on full blast or not at all. The blower motor speed controller is long obsolete. If you think this is you problem then you'll need to find a good used one. Good thing is, it's only a 5 minute job to swap out.

-Chad

joe4sho

Reaction score
Turn the EATC completely off. Turn the car off if it isn't already and then start the car. If the defrost comes on at startup even though the EATC is turned off then that is a tell tale sign of the blower motor speed controller (resister) going bad. The other tell tale sign is the speed dial on the EATC not working. It will either be on full blast or not at all. The blower motor speed controller is long obsolete. If you think this is you problem then you'll need to find a good used one. Good thing is, it's only a 5 minute job to swap out.

-Chad
I'll def look into that. Yeah I've been trying to get hard to reach parts before their all bought out. Eventually I'll get a newer car but for now just wanting to keep my baby running as good as along as I can

Irish Pride

Irish Inside
Staff member
Super Moderators
Reaction score
I'll def look into that. Yeah I've been trying to get hard to reach parts before their all bought out. Eventually I'll get a newer car but for now just wanting to keep my baby running as good as along as I can
Parts are definitely drying up for that old cars. One of the things I loved about the SHOs when I got into them was that they shared so many parts with the regular Taurus and you could go to any junkyard and find 25 Taurus at any given time. It's not like that anymore. Thankfully because of the forum and the FB groups we have a pretty tight community and finding parts is still possible. The blower motor control recently went out in my 95 project car and a buddy of mine in KY had one for me.

I still would rather drive one of that old cars than have to deal with the new stuff that's coming out today. You think we have it bad? New cars today will be obsolete and scrapped faster than ever very soon. The rate that technology changes is faster than ever and the amount of technology that these newer cars have makes it impossible for the average driveway tech to work on them. Cars now a days are designed to be throwaway and people are expected to have a monthly car payment just like a cell phone bill.

-Chad

joe4sho

Reaction score
Parts are definitely drying up for that old cars. One of the things I loved about the SHOs when I got into them was that they shared so many parts with the regular Taurus and you could go to any junkyard and find 25 Taurus at any given time. It's not like that anymore. Thankfully because of the forum and the FB groups we have a pretty tight community and finding parts is still possible. The blower motor control recently went out in my 95 project car and a buddy of mine in KY had one for me.

I still would rather drive one of that old cars than have to deal with the new stuff that's coming out today. You think we have it bad? New cars today will be obsolete and scrapped faster than ever very soon. The rate that technology changes is faster than ever and the amount of technology that these newer cars have makes it impossible for the average driveway tech to work on them. Cars now a days are designed to be throwaway and people are expected to have a monthly car payment just like a cell phone bill.

-Chad
That's what me and my dad are always saying, id rather have no (or less) bells and whistles to be worrying about messing up. Just bought a used SHO tranny and engine for mine, as much as im sure regular maintenance will help to keep the current ones in my car alive for a long time i know eventually I will have to replace them eventually. my plan is to read the ones i bought with new sensors alt and pumps and have it there for the sad day this one dies, then switch them and start rebuilding the other. i think i got them for a decent price ,2250 for both including shipping and they only have around 75 k on them, not new but around half of what mine have at the moment. i travel a good amount as well so I'm sure i put in a little more than the normal wear and tear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theexo

Members online