air bag code 41

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flynsho

Reaction score
so my airbag light is flashing 41, i looked it up and it says "Primary Crash Sensor #1 Feed/Return Circuit - Open" what the **** does this mean, where is this sensor and how do i fix it?!?!?

Acidic

Reaction score
I believe the primary crash sensor is one of the ones in the front bumper. Someone with the factory manual ought to be able to tell you which sensor it is, then you can replace it...

Greg Corcoran

SHO Member
Reaction score
Resurrecting this thread as I was getting this code 41 once in a while, but if I cycled power it went away. Now I get it all the time and cycling power will not clear it. From the HELMS manual I see this code is for the sensor on the firewall in the center of the engine bay. I'm a bit confused on the diagnostic procedure though (see pp. 01-20B-54 and 55).
Last thing I want to do is pop off an airbag. Is 1 minute after battery disconnect really long enough to deplete the charge in the backup power supply?
Also - It has me start at troubleshooting with the airbag diagnostic module (somewhere near the glovebox) but the code is for the sensor in the engine bay. Is this right? Anyone know what diagnostic module looks like (color/shape) or a more precise description of the location?

Greg Corcoran

SHO Member
Reaction score
hi,
I have a couple of those modules if you find out you do need one.
good luck,
dan
Thanks Dan, I imagine I will need the diagnostic module OR the crash sensor on the firewall. Just need to tear into it with the multimeter in hand and see where the troubleshooting decision tree in Helms manual takes me. May not be until next weekend. I'll be in touch.

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
Thanks. That blue should stand out. Guessing I need to remove the glovebox then?
empty the glovebox, look at the sides and you will see a track with a round piece on each side of the glove. You push both sides in enough to clear the groove and it will hang straight down still attached to the dash assembly. It will be evident when you open and look in there. Here is an ebay glove box that shows what the compartment looks like https://www.ebay.com/itm/284473609617

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dan, I imagine I will need the diagnostic module OR the crash sensor on the firewall. Just need to tear into it with the multimeter in hand and see where the troubleshooting decision tree in Helms manual takes me. May not be until next weekend. I'll be in touch.
I still have to do this on my '93. Wondering if I have a short in another part of the wiring harness like steering column wiring, or if power runs through the clockspring. I have multiple codes that change. It's a pain in my @rse. Good luck

Greg Corcoran

SHO Member
Reaction score
empty the glovebox, look at the sides and you will see a track with a round piece on each side of the glove. You push both sides in enough to clear the groove and it will hang straight down still attached to the dash assembly. It will be evident when you open and look in there. Here is an ebay glove box that shows what the compartment looks like https://www.ebay.com/itm/284473609617
yep, found the module. Can't miss it actually, to the right of the glovebox opening. The hardest part was to get a small flat bladed screwdriver in there to pop the 2 clips that hold it in place so I could pull module down and then out far enough to release the catch of the harness connector. Performed the test per the Helms manual and the decision tree says bad airbag monitor module. I had hoped pulling and reconnecting the harness connectors would maybe cleat up the contacts and solve the problem, but no such luck. Still had code 41 when power restored.

Last edited:

Greg Corcoran

SHO Member
Reaction score
I still have to do this on my '93. Wondering if I have a short in another part of the wiring harness like steering column wiring, or if power runs through the clockspring. I have multiple codes that change. It's a pain in my @rse. Good luck
Yikes, a random number generator for the airbag codes sounds like something ground related messing with the electronic self checks? There are some external and internal grounds in the airbag monitor module per the Helms manual diagrams. Maybe start there? If not the clockspring seems like the next likely culprit.

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
I replaced the module with no resolution so I have to track down the electrical issue. Started having intermittent turn signal issues recently also. Not sure if those share a circuit or if they are unrelated.

Greg Corcoran

SHO Member
Reaction score
LuigiSHO, The Helms manual doesn't show any actual overlap of the turn signals and the airbag except where the 14 pin connector C2 to the instrument panel houses the right signal indicator and the airbag light. Not seeing any other common wires or connectors. So I'd think the two are not related unless you have instrument panel issues too? There is also a reference ground in that connector on pin 13.

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
airbag alternating codes, abs light and recently the turn signal started intermittent fail. It's been a thorn for a while. Admittedly not alot of free time to dig. I'll go at it again now that the winter temps are breaking. was hoping for a common fail ground somewhere.

Greg Corcoran

SHO Member
Reaction score
I put in a replacement airbag diagnostic module and get code 51 now. This code means the new module has a blown internal thermal fuse, and is not serviceable per the HELMS manual. presumably it was dead when removed from a parts car... Anyone know if this fuse actually is replaceable somehow?

Texas Marauder

SHO Member
Reaction score
I put in a replacement airbag diagnostic module and get code 51 now. This code means the new module has a blown internal thermal fuse, and is not serviceable per the HELMS manual. presumably it was dead when removed from a parts car... Anyone know if this fuse actually is replaceable somehow?
The fuse is not supposed to be replaceable however, if you open the module you can replace it. I replaced one on a Mustang module years ago. IIRC, I used a regular glass fuse. Was it a proper repair? Probably not but, it did get rid of the code.

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
There was a thread or two on the forum about which fuse (maybe a replacement part number and from where to purchase) and pics (I think) of soldering it on. Been a while since it was posted but I do remember it

Greg Corcoran

SHO Member
Reaction score
There was a thread or two on the forum about which fuse (maybe a replacement part number and from where to purchase) and pics (I think) of soldering it on. Been a while since it was posted but I do remember it
Thanks I did some more looking in old threads -

I found this thread but the links in post 7 & 8 are broken and the amazon part is out of stock/restock unknown.... https://shoforum.com/threads/airbag-electronics-need-module-for-95-sho.110623/#post-1206044 It also seems to be Gen 1 specific as the poster had a '91

This link says Gen 1 is serviceable but Gen 2 is not... https://shoforum.com/threads/air-bag-module.142692/#post-1561872 So I guess I'm out of luck unless I find a known good module.

Didn't find any other thread...

Also - Apologies, but I just found a note I left myself over a year ago that said airbag code 34 was intermittent, but then I parked the car for a year and forgot about the note. When I got it out of storage it had code 41 but not 34 and I didn't notice the code was not the same. So now I wonder if the clockspring from code 34 is at the root of my code 41 problem? Separately the replacement module I got is apparently DOA with code 51 and likely not repairable unless someone knows of a different link for Gen 2 fuse that I did not find.

I'm finding 4 different clockspring part numbers for a '95 Taurus across the interwebs:
F5DC 14A664-B
F5DC 14A664-BA
F6ZZ 14A664-AA
F7DC 14A664-AA

I presume these first 3 are all superceded numbers and if I find any of these 4 new in box I should be good to go?

Back