97 v-8 sho valve job

coachcoffy

Reaction score
I live in North East Ohio and looking for a reliable v-8 sho mechanic, I shut it off, no noise and a valve dropped and wedged against piston, I have seen it with a spy camera, does not look like pistons cracked hopefully only need a valve job, problem started next start it would not move, please help, Happy Thanksgiving

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
Pull the heads off and get a good look at the damage. If you have some little experience with this you can bag and tag every bolt and electrical connector you can use pics too. THat helps to take memory out of the equation and get it back together.

If it is damaged you can make an assessment of how much to fix vs maybe move on or even swap another motor if available. ARe the cams welded?

AS far as NE ohio. Not sure who to ask. I would reach out to cincysho on facebook and see if they have any ideas. THey have been in the SHO parts game for a really long time. I haven't heard much from them and thought they might have stopped years ago but I see them on facebook. You can try the v8sho google group and see if there are people on there that know anything or v8sho.com list https://www.v8sho.com/SHO/sublist.html

Irish Pride

Irish Inside
Staff member
Super Moderators
Reaction score
I'm willing to bet that the cams are not welded and you spun a cam. I would pull the valve cover on that side and then I wouldn't go any further. Spare parts are very hard to find for the V8s and my opinion would be to start looking for a replacement engine. That would be the cheapest route.

-Chad

Reactions: E1

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
I'm willing to bet that the cams are not welded and you spun a cam. I would pull the valve cover on that side and then I wouldn't go any further. Spare parts are very hard to find for the V8s and my opinion would be to start looking for a replacement engine. That would be the cheapest route.

-Chad
I would agree this is a high probability. I have also heard of dropping a valve and it surviving a repair. There is no way to know for sure without looking at it.

You have to decide what is the limit of what you are willing to spend. If money doesn't matter and you are really into this car then send it off. If you have a range of $$ to budget you have to know what the extent of the damage is. or at least a reasonable idea.