93 SHO Rear Struts, Long / Short

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sperold

Last to Know
Reaction score
I have a vague memory of the model 93 cars having problems with rear struts. The problem being that after installing new rear struts, the car was noticeably higher. I seem to remember that there was a length difference in struts part way through the model year.

Can anyone confirm this, or at least verify some part of the story.

Thanks in advance for any input. As you can guess, I have a 93 that has been lowered all around, and my solution to the situation is new struts all around.

zoomlater

SHO Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was just the length of the strut that extended further below the clamping point. My 92 had the long struts and I couldn't get them out, so I end up cutting them when I replaced them.

Irish Pride

Irish Inside
Staff member
Super Moderators
Reaction score
The struts don't have anything to do with ride height. The springs control ride height. There was a rear strut change in 94 to short body struts but they are interchangeable among all the years. The springs changed in 92 and it is my belief that the Gen1 springs are taller than the Gen2s. The Gen1s are stiffer too. I use Gen2 springs in the front and Gen1 springs in the rear. Cut to length though.

-Chad

sperold

Last to Know
Reaction score
I plan to solve the problem by installing "Quick Struts", the product that has the spring and strut combined.

Any comments on any packaged strut assemblies that I should stay away from?

Again, I don't remember the years involved in the change, but I thought there was one year where they stated a manufacturing VIN or date of manufacture where the change took place.

Sorry for my confusion in calling things struts, instead of strut assemblies.

Thanks

BaySHO Performance

SHO Member
Reaction score
You will find a table with the rear strut info here:

The problem with ALL Quickstruts is that they are only designed for the Taurus, not the SHO with stiffer springs. Your car will tend to wallow like a Cadillac with them.

Spring Rates lb. / in.FrontRear
Gen 1/2
Taurus
155​
100​
As used by all Quickstruts
SHO
200​
130​

Ta2dResqr

SHO Member
Reaction score
You will find a table with the rear strut info here:

The problem with ALL Quickstruts is that they are only designed for the Taurus, not the SHO with stiffer springs. Your car will tend to wallow like a Cadillac with them.

Spring Rates lb. / in.FrontRear
Gen 1/2
Taurus
155​
100​
As used by all Quickstruts
SHO
200​
130​
Are the KYB Strut-Plus any good? I saw them when looking at another application today. It says they do not consolidate models.

PaulCa

Reaction score
I don't know if they're still available, but I put a set of Tokiko "blue" struts in my '95. Mine came factory with non-SHO springs, which I corrected at the same time (at about 90k miles). The difference was, to say the least, dramatic. The car cornered flat, where it wallowed through turns before.

I put the same struts in my '98 BMW convertible and got the same kind of results.

sperold

Last to Know
Reaction score
I had my 93 SHO on a hoist and changed the front strut assemblies to Monroe 181780. I found my spring mounting pad on the strut now touches my 225 50 R17 on Ronal rims on the passenger side. I am going to create another thread on this topic. Is there such a thing as a wheel spacer that puts the wheel and tire out past the strut? I believe the SHO front hubs have the longer studs, which helps.

I had a look at the rear strut assemblies and one side has a short strut body extension below the mounting tab, and the other side has a really long body extension. My replacement strut assemblies have the short strut body extension length.
Can you actually get the long body strut assembly out of the cast iron knuckle assembly, or do they have to be destroyed by cutting the long length body off?

My dilemma now is: do I put the lowering spring strut assemblies back on the front and continue with the low ride height, thereby saving the need to change the rear strut assemblies. Or do I get some advice and get the front strut away from the tire, and go ahead with changing the rear struts.

Thanks

BaySHO Performance

SHO Member
Reaction score
Wheel spacers are available, but I don't know where to get them. SHO Source may know. The long body rear struts can still be removed from the knuckles without any hassles.

shaldaya

SHO Member
Reaction score
Wheel spacers are available, but I don't know where to get them. SHO Source may know. The long body rear struts can still be removed from the knuckles without any hassles.
Pretty sure wheel spacers are kind of a universal fit, least when i went looking they were
Find your bolt pattern (classic sho's are 5×108mm/4.25in) find your hub size and if the car is hubsentric, then find the thickness you're looking for

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MW91

Members online

Back