93 sho atx hard shifting not down shifting

shonut93

Reaction score
Howdy Folks,

So I have a 93 sho ATX. that is not downshifting and shifting hard when driving in town. the car drives and is not slipping it gose threw all the gears. But when you go to give it the beans she won't downshift but will if you shift it down yourself just shifts hard. I noticed if I hit the OD off button I pop fuse #15 under the dash if that helps. Any help in this matter would be much appreciated I am not big on transmissions.

Thanks

Irish Pride

Irish Inside
Staff member
Super Moderators
Reaction score
When you are driving around and it's shifting hard and not downshifting, check to see if your cruise control is working. If your cruise works at times but doesn't work when the trans is acting up, that is a telltale sign of the Vehicle Speed Sensor(VSS) going out. Another symptom is the speedo needle bouncing around at highway speeds. The VSS is the sensor on top the the transmission that the speedo cable connects to.

-Chad

shonut93

Reaction score
When you are driving around and it's shifting hard and not downshifting, check to see if your cruise control is working. If your cruise works at times but doesn't work when the trans is acting up, that is a telltale sign of the Vehicle Speed Sensor(VSS) going out. Another symptom is the speedo needle bouncing around at highway speeds. The VSS is the sensor on top the the transmission that the speedo cable connects to.

-Chad
Thanks, Chad, I will look into that. I have been having problems with the speedo cable engaging in the back of the gauge cluster I am fighting that right now. I have been doing mechanics yoga under the dash. I will report back to you with what I find. side note I took out the cruise control which is where my nitrous solenoid is mounted now will that be a problem?

Justin

Last edited:

Irish Pride

Irish Inside
Staff member
Super Moderators
Reaction score
What problems are you having with the speedo cable? Common VSS speedo cable issue is the gauge will jump up 10-15 mph faster than you are actually going. The easiest way to get to the speedo cable on the back of the gauge is to remove the gauge from the cluster. You don't have to remove the cluster from the dash. Remove the lens from the front of the cluster and then remove the speedo gauge from the cluster. There is enough length in the cable to pull the gauge out and disconnect the cable from the back.

-Chad

shonut93

Reaction score
What problems are you having with the speedo cable? Common VSS speedo cable issue is the gauge will jump up 10-15 mph faster than you are actually going. The easiest way to get to the speedo cable on the back of the gauge is to remove the gauge from the cluster. You don't have to remove the cluster from the dash. Remove the lens from the front of the cluster and then remove the speedo gauge from the cluster. There is enough length in the cable to pull the gauge out and disconnect the cable from the back.

-Chad
I have never had the speedo bounce around to my recollection, but I had to pull the dash to do a heater core so I pulled the cluster and am now putting it all back together. I looked down on the trans and saw the VSS and will look into it. to your knowledge does the ECM,TCM take info from the back of the cluster, or is the VSS wired straight to the ECM TCM?

-Justin

shonut93

Reaction score
I have never had the speedo bounce around to my recollection, but I had to pull the dash to do a heater core so I pulled the cluster and am now putting it all back together. I looked down on the trans and saw the VSS and will look into it. to your knowledge does the ECM,TCM take info from the back of the cluster, or is the VSS wired straight to the ECM TCM?

-Justin
so I just got the speedo working and it bounces at low speed so I got a new VSS on order. Is this something I will have to get down below or can you get to it form the top driver's side to your knowledge?

- Jusitn

Irish Pride

Irish Inside
Staff member
Super Moderators
Reaction score
You will have to get at it from below. Exhaust Y pipe will have to come off. The smaller your hands are the easier it will be, and it's not easy. One of the SHO jobs that I despise the most.

-Chad

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShoTimeSleeper

Members online