89 electric gremlin

shobote

SHO Member
Reaction score
The blinkers did not work, no matter what position the key was in; hazard lights worked so I just installed a NOS OEM Ford multifunction switch. Now, when the key is in the run position, without the engine running, blinkers work fine. I then start the car, and with the key in the same run position, the blinkers and fan do not operate. I then turn the car off, put the key in run and they work again. Got me bamboozled, any suggestions ?

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
First instinct is to check the relay. I wish I still had the evtm manual. Maybe the ignition cylinder is a little worn and a wiggle or turn back without shutting off will allow power back to those accessories?
I thought I saw a post on this waay back but maybe not. Electrical keeps popping up. Did you keep your original multifunction switch? SOme people have opened them up, cleaned them up and got them to work again in other ford vehicles

shobote

SHO Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Will check relay and ignition switch... thought about dissasembling and cleaning up the old one but found a NOS 89 Ford for 35 bucks, which also looks a lot better than the old faded one.

shobote

SHO Member
Reaction score
Was a bad ignition cylinder, wiggling it made everything work. Got a new one from Rockauto, $15, and moved the rectangular key lock pieces from the old one over, so the original Ford keys work with the new one.

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
Crazy old age stuff in these cars. I like it here because, other than helping people out, harder to figure out stuff is popping off on these now.