802SHO Engine Build

toms89

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow!! Building a full on race car but with the ecoboost drivetrain. It will be nice to have someone really push the limits of the fwd based drivetrain for the community to gain knowledge of what its limitations are, what needs to be addressed and hopefully solutions to the weak links. We will all benefit from your experiences. I have to admit I have not yet read this entire thread but certainly will. Looks to me like 10 second timeslips are not going to be an issue assuming the rest of the drivetrain holds up long enough to get her dialed in.

Thank you for paving the path :)

Lowrider1976

Grandma's grocerie getter
Reaction score
Although I do find this to be an ingenious solution, my big question becomes routing the rest of the pipe. Does the passenger side become the front, and drivers side go to the rear? Maybe I'm over thinking that part. Since it's all going to end up custom I also hope you will have at least 3" diameter downpipes. I really do like the way it keeps things tucked away, and I'm very intrigued to see the rest of the process with the turbos stage! The boundary lines have officially been blurred kudos man!

802SHO

Stock Cams
Reaction score
Although I do find this to be an ingenious solution, my big question becomes routing the rest of the pipe. Does the passenger side become the front, and drivers side go to the rear? Maybe I'm over thinking that part. Since it's all going to end up custom I also hope you will have at least 3" diameter downpipes. I really do like the way it keeps things tucked away, and I'm very intrigued to see the rest of the process with the turbos stage! The boundary lines have officially been blurred kudos man!
Thank you. Rear turbo is routed under engine where the OEM front turbo downpipe used to go, then it’ll either go left or right. The rear turbo will have the most pipe, so it may shorten the difference if I run the rear turbo to the driver side instead of the passenger side. Everything is running close to/tight to bottom of subframe so I’ll have (3-1/2” max) less clearance to the ground but I can live with that. Everything manifold to turbo inlet is 2.25” OD and everything turbo outlet is 3” where they’ll merge and become one going out of the hood. That’ll be a few feet so I shouldn’t need to worry about sucking in any fresh air to the 02 sensors. The cold side will be 2” aluminum pipe to the new IC I’ve got coming. It’s dual inlet, one outlet, vertical stack twin turbo IC capable of supporting 1000hp. And run dual front intakes into the grille area like the front mount intakes that are available for the F80 BMW. For velocity I wanted 2.25” to turbo inlet and 2” cold side to IC. Turbo outlet and intake inlet can all be larger OD. There will be custom heat shields as well. Also some fancy flex pipe will also be the first thing attached with vbands to the manifolds for engine movement.

bpd1151

Lurking Around
Reaction score
This statement from lowrider1976 sums it up best....

"The boundary lines have officially been blurred, kudos man!"

Definitely outside of the box thinking being employed here. Looking forward to the results.

Becareful not only for the fitment of that front bumper cover, but also for potential melting issues from the heat radiating from the turbos given that chosen placement.

Exciting to see the progress being made.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

802SHO

Stock Cams
Reaction score
This statement from lowrider1976 sums it up best....

"The boundary lines have officially been blurred, kudos man!"

Definitely outside of the box thinking being employed here. Looking forward to the results.

Becareful not only for the fitment of that front bumper cover, but also for potential melting issues from the heat radiating from the turbos given that chosen placement.

Exciting to see the progress being made.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
Plastic melting shouldn’t be an issue with both turbo inlet and outlet under/behind bumper. They can get a thermal coating and/or wrap and the turbo will get a PTP turbo blanket, I could grab that blanket barehanded after a 1/4 pull…that’s how well they keep the temps in and away from everything, which also aids the turbo to operate optimally, keeping the heat where it’s needed. Side note: chopping open the bumper isn’t off limits either.DDD0A9B7 044E 4D66 9EB6 2C134E93808A

802SHO

Stock Cams
Reaction score
Intercooler came in yesterday. I think it’s going to work better than anything I’ve used before. I looked inside and they are individual IC’s like I had assumed, and they just shared the outlet, however it’s plated so they really don’t come together until the very end of the outlet into the next pipe that will go to the throttle body. EF0FE1FC A93C 4C0B 993E 8EE09C2669DB. I ordered up a 2” and 3” universal intercooler piping kit. Also bought these universal black K&N filters for my front mount intakes 4F9760C5 F41D 4CE5 A670 464B72538279. My Derale hi flow racing oil cooler for the trans is set to arrive later today. Ben came over last night and we’re going to try to mount the IC slanted forward, for my clearance for the front mount intakes but also for better airflow. He chopped off the ends of my subframe last night to make more room for piping, plus where we’re headed, we don’t need this crap anyway 51C3CDF9 6089 45E0 8A58 E45911E8000C0744E2B6 9F64 44B2 BBA1 F312767D77BB42EEBA42 7B76 4F1F 8A69 EA6924B762D8. Once I repaint the subframe black it’ll look OEM-ish. Simply unbolted the chromoly fingers and turbos are out. Anything turbo wise will be so easy moving forward. 585020FD AA71 47BF B4D9 6F6DC96C665F5608507B 3604 4162 A191 FAD45A0BEBEA. Last night I had an epiphany lol…..I only quickly bolted up the engine…next time it comes out, I can send it home….finally! Fender flare installers are scheduled to start cutting my fenders and installation of the flares this weekend!

SM105K

Streetlight Grand Prix Champ/ IG @fafomotorsports
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing, but gin AND vodka, Bond could learn something from this guy!

Although, you don't want to shake your gin, that will just bruise it.
3 measures of Gordon's
1 of Vodka
.5 Lillet Blanc
Slim Lemon Peel......

Shaken not stirred.....

James is a bruised type of guy. Literally. LOL.

SM105K

Streetlight Grand Prix Champ/ IG @fafomotorsports
Reaction score
3 measures of Gordon's
1 of Vodka
.5 Lillet Blanc
Slim Lemon Peel......

Shaken not stirred.....

James is a bruised type of guy. Literally. LOL.
For the record. I went to Total Wine and More yesterday and bought those ingredients. I made a James Bond Martini, and only one literally wrecked me.

Didn't taste bad either, but holy crap.

802SHO

Stock Cams
Reaction score
So the radius of these new school fender flares are honestly, too narrow. And the boys and I agreed that even heating them to mold them will probably end up looking kind of like shit, so I knew they made an XL radius version…..so just ordered those and stainless steel rivet nuts. $500 for the pair of 4 of the other ones I had and I cut them….hoping I can sell them and get maybe $200. New ones are $600 for the pair. My list of parts to sell is growing. I should have a decent list of parts for sale at the end.

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
Are you cutting that lip or just bolt on flares? I'm just looking at how much travel you have based on my aging eyes and that pic

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theexo

Members online