3.2 Reliable HP

TitanFox

Reaction score
Im trying to finalize choosing the engine for my project. Im looking for 500 to 700 RWHP and its come down to the 3.2 vs Barra 4.0. Both will be boosted via turbo looking at 20psi. The SHO has alot going for it right out the gate, but can it be reliable at those number is what im trying to find out. The Barra can but down some crazy number but you gotta drop 8k plus into it and then these days parts might be an issue. Any thoughts would be great!

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
reliable at 500+ hp? no
You need a base engine closer to that number out of the box.
big reliable power = bigger motor and bigger money
unless you have a different definition of reliable

Irish Pride

Irish Inside
Staff member
Super Moderators
Reaction score
With all the modern engines out there to choose from I definitely would not go with the 3.2

To get that kind of numbers in a semi reliable state you would need to build the 3.2. Bore it out to 3.3 and add some low compression pistons before you boost and you'll get big numbers but the kicker is, parts are almost unobtainable now. Head gaskets, obsolete. Main bearings, obsolete. The price for anything else that is available is going up and up too. Rod bearing athough still available have almost doubled in price over the past year.

The Barra would be cooler in my opinion and probably way easier to work with.

-Chad

TitanFox

Reaction score
Thats the conclusion I was coming to, kinda sad that basic parts are hard to come by cuz I love the engine. But I do have a home for it in another car a Ford 100e so i wont need nearly as much HP to get that 1600lb car moving.

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
Thats the conclusion I was coming to, kinda sad that basic parts are hard to come by cuz I love the engine. But I do have a home for it in another car a Ford 100e so i wont need nearly as much HP to get that 1600lb car moving.
That's a sharp little car. Would love to see that project

91LowSHO

Reaction score
I’m working on it. My white 90. Have a T trim from Tim waiting for it to get its cammed heads quaife and everything else first lol

TitanFox

Reaction score
I have no doubt you can get 500hp out of a 3.2 but is it gonna be streetable and it the engine gonna last?

thegreatbriguy

SHO Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With all the modern engines out there to choose from I definitely would not go with the 3.2

To get that kind of numbers in a semi reliable state you would need to build the 3.2. Bore it out to 3.3 and add some low compression pistons before you boost and you'll get big numbers but the kicker is, parts are almost unobtainable now. Head gaskets, obsolete. Main bearings, obsolete. The price for anything else that is available is going up and up too. Rod bearing athough still available have almost doubled in price over the past year.

The Barra would be cooler in my opinion and probably way easier to work with.

-Chad
Aren't head gaskets available? I thought you can get the 3.2 now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dodas

Members online

No members online now.