1992 Defrost always blowing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skyshadow07

On a mission to get below 4000lbs
Reaction score
I'm having an A/C issue on my 92. Unless I put my system in 'floor', it will blow out of what ever area I choose plus defrost no matter what. So if I put it in 'panel' I get that and defrost with the majority going to defrost. I have pulled the unit and smoked all vacuum lines coming from the unit, there are not visible leaks and all lines are attached to the actuators. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Irish Pride

Irish Inside
Staff member
Super Moderators
Reaction score
You need to replace the blower motor controller. What is typically called a resister on most cars. It's under the dash to the left of the blower motor. When it fails the system defaults to defrost. You might notice the blower on in defrost when the unit is turned off too. Another common sign of a failed unit.

-Chad

zoomlater

SHO Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

SHOrod

Torrie Tuned
Reaction score
You need to replace the blower motor controller. What is typically called a resister on most cars. It's under the dash to the left of the blower motor. When it fails the system defaults to defrost. You might notice the blower on in defrost when the unit is turned off too. Another common sign of a failed unit.

-Chad
Very interesting. I recall years ago when my blower motor controller failed I only had high speed, but I can't remember whether or not the system defaulted to defrost. I know many (maybe even all) vacuum controlled systems will default to defrost as a failsafe, but I hadn't heard before that the blower speed controller on these cars would also cause the system to default to defrost. I'm not sure I'll have much of a chance to take advantage of that knowledge now, but interesting nonetheless.

-Rod

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddizzy81

Members online

Back