1989 SHO Fuel pump/sender issue

Rich G

Reaction score
My fuel gauge is not working properly and it was determined to be the sending unit in the tank. It should be part number E9DZ-9H307-D.
Now discontinued from Ford. My mechanic ordered 2 non Ford parts from his supplier who said they will work, but neither one did.
They did not have the separate wire terminal like the original. Only the 4 pin plug. I have looked online and found the original part but in the description it says its for a digital unit. And some that looked correct said it would not fit my car. My fuel gauge has a needle pointer.
What are they referring to by digital unit?
Will the E9DZ-9H307-D work with my dash? If not which other brands might work?

Thanks, Richard

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
I remember Topaz or Tempos had digital dashes maybe even taurus? I think sable for sure but I don't remember the exact years. Maybe some of these parts cross over models?

If your listed part number is correct for your car then https://www.ebay.com/itm/162021290394

Tasca lists this F4DZ9H307AA
as a valid part number also. Have to double check that. If correct I think there are some of those on ebay as well.

Irish Pride

Irish Inside
Staff member
Super Moderators
Reaction score
The correct part number for the SHO is E9DZ-9H307-B. That is the only option for the 89 SHO.

E9DZ-9H307-D is specific to the regular Taurus with the optional 18.6 gallon tank and digital dash.

Do you have any pics of your pump? I'm confused by what you mean with the seperate wire terminal. Every SHO sender that I've seen has had only the 4 pin connector.

-Chad

Rich G

Reaction score
Unfortunately I didnt see MY fuel unit when it was out of the car. But my mechanic says it has this extra terminal
in addition to the 4 pin plug like this one in the photos I got from an Ebay ad. It comes from the sending unit. I looked for the E9DZ-9h307-B and didnt find anything. My SHO was built in November of 88. if that helps at all.

Attachments

• Fuel Pump.JPG
    Fuel Pump.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Fuel Tag.JPG
    Fuel Tag.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 9

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
The correct part number for the SHO is E9DZ-9H307-B. That is the only option for the 89 SHO.

E9DZ-9H307-D is specific to the regular Taurus with the optional 18.6 gallon tank and digital dash.

Do you have any pics of your pump? I'm confused by what you mean with the seperate wire terminal. Every SHO sender that I've seen has had only the 4 pin connector.

-Chad
Same here re: 4 pin connector. Chad, are the other SHO model pump sending units compatible? I am seeing this bosch unit with your oem part number in the interchange list here..
https://www.lmshayrato.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=168454

Rich G

Reaction score
In the photo above you can see a threaded post coming through the lid separate from the 4 pin plug. This is what my mechanic says I need. A single wire plugs onto this post. Which is connected to the float assy. I did not see the unit while it was out of the car, so I dont have photos. I wish I did. I will talk with him and try to get more info.
Thanks for the help so far,
Rich

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
yeah I wonder if the angle on that bosch unit isn't showing it or it doesn't have it. Have you thought about getting a used unit?

BaySHO Performance

SHO Member
Reaction score

-Chad
Chad, my records have that PN for the pump itself, not the sender.

I had an '89 in back in 2014 with the same problem: the fuel gauge wasn't working properly. I first checked that the resistance at the sender was correct. From the '89 shop manual:

IMG 20220620 104704033 769x800

That was OK, so the sender was working fine. Turned out to be the slosh module instead of the sender. This is a baby board plugged into the back of the instrument cluster. The only way to get one was to buy a whole '89 cluster from a wrecker's yard. Replacing the slosh module fixed the problem. Any slosh module from a later year won't work. I don't have the PN to search on.

To find an '89 in a yard: https://row52.com
Don't know whether a mechanical instrument cluster from a regular Taurus will work. To select just the SHOs from the list of cars that came up, switch to a VIN search and enter P54 into boxes 5-7. The only '89 SHO in the whole country:

Rich G

Reaction score
Thanks for that info, Nick. I was not aware of that part. Something I will mention to my mechanic. I believe he said there was a burn mark in the middle of the wire where the float connection makes contact. It could be a while till I can get the SHO back to him but I will post when it gets fixed.

Rich

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erasethegrey

Members online